WebUI display is jumbled by DNS???

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
chris8686

Post by chris8686 »

Hello,
I couldn't find anyone posting this problem. Apologies if I've missed it somewhere.
Zimbra Network Edition 6.0.8 on SLES 10.2 (vm running on Citrix Xenserver)

Firefox 3.6.12

Windows XP and 7
We've been getting a peculiar error. When certain users log in to the web interface with firefox, the display looks like this:

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com ... 772829.jpg />
1.) If at this point I log out, and log back in with a different user, it is displayed correctly.

2. ) If I navigate to the server with the IP address instead of the hostname, the error disappears no matter who logs in.

3. ) The error is not present in IE
Presently, I have:

1.) cleared the firefox cache and history

2.) restarted the zimbra services.

3.) rebooted the zimbra server and workstations

4.) flushed the dns on the hosts

5.) completely uninstalled firefox and installed version 3.5

This is what happened before the error appeared... The physical NIC failed on the Xenserver machine that was hosting the Zimbra server, and the server was hard booted.
It seems to happen on an account by account basis.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You can always verify your DNS configuration by going to the Split DNS article and running all the command in the 'Verify...' section of the article. I'd find it hard to imagine that this is a DNS problem but that's one place to start. :) What the specification of this server and how much RAM is allocated to the Zimbra server VM? Have you tried this with another browser? Are you saying that this problem always happens for some specific users?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
chris8686

Post by chris8686 »

Yes, this only happens in firefox when the hostname is used to reach the server. If the IP is used the page is displayed correctly. And it only happens with certain users.
If for example, UserA has no problem, but UserB gets the jumbled page, I can log UserB off, and log UserA in on the same browser on the same computer and everything is displayed correctly. If I log UserA out and log UserB back in, the page is displayed with errors.
This also only happens in the Advanced AJAX version. If I switch to Standard HTML, there is no problem.
The Zimbra server has 4GB of memory.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Did you also check your DNS configuration, as I suggested above, what were the results?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
DEpple

Post by DEpple »

[quote user="chris8686"]It only happens with certain users.
If for example, UserA has no problem, but UserB gets the jumbled page, I can log UserB off, and log UserA in on the same browser on the same computer and everything is displayed correctly. If I log UserA out and log UserB back in, the page is displayed with errors.
This also only happens in the Advanced AJAX version. If I switch to Standard HTML, there is no problem.

[/QUOTE]
I am having the same exact issue.

I have included the result of my DNS configuration.

Is there any idea of what could be causing such a headache?

Thanks for any help.
digall.jpg
chris8686

Post by chris8686 »

I apologize for not posting this when it happened.

A reboot of the server fixed the problem for me. (Actually it might have been two reboots).
I have no idea what was causing it. We are running split DNS and we have had DNS issues, but I haven't seen this problem before or since my original post.
Pretty strange though, huh?
Chris
DEpple

Post by DEpple »

[quote user="chris8686"]I apologize for not posting this when it happened.

A reboot of the server fixed the problem for me. (Actually it might have been two reboots).
I have no idea what was causing it. We are running split DNS and we have had DNS issues, but I haven't seen this problem before or since my original post.
Pretty strange though, huh?
Chris[/QUOTE]
YEP! :D Worked! I suppose I should never forget that before I jump off a metaphorical bridge.. first check to ensure it's plugged in... and then reboot. I hope this helps others. Thanks!