[SOLVED] Removed IM server in FOSS 7.0

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
fyd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fyd »

[quote user="mavlenko"]Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Especially Phoenix. I certainly did not mean you personally in my post # 6. You guys are doing great and very necessary work. I found a way to enable IM in 7.0 (see my post #4) and before not yet released 8.0 it's enough for me and my users do not eat me for breakfast :)

Thank you again.[/QUOTE]
You are welcome mavlenko. Good to know that your users will be happy and won't cook you, so we'll get to see you here .. hehe ;)
@uxbod : thank you for that info.
msteamix

Post by msteamix »

[quote user="mavlenko"]wow, actually hasn't been removed :) but removed checkbox from web admin console

To enable for default COS, do command from zimbra user:

zmprov mcf zimbraXMPPEnabled TRUE

zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureIMEnabled TRUE

zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureInstantNotify TRUE

zmprov mc default zimbraPrefIMAutoLogin TRUE
But it is enable IM for all users in default COS, is there any ability to disable IM for some users from web admin console, or any feature to return IM checkbox into web admin console?[/QUOTE]
I am able to disable IM for a user with:
zmprov modifyAccount $ACCOUNT zimbraFeatureIMEnabled FALSE
I see the current status is:
zmprov getAccount $ACCOUNT | grep IM
I you want to disable IM for all users do something like this:
for ACCOUNT in $( zmprov -l gaa ) ; do echo $ACCOUNT ; zmprov modifyAccount $ACCOUNT zimbraFeatureIMEnabled FALSE ; done
Thanks,

Martin
50asm

Post by 50asm »

What a shame to see the messenger go.... It is a big plus to have it nicely packaged with the email and this is after all a calibration server. We love the messanger and believe it is a good reason to chose Zimbra over Exchange. It comes in very handy when your working as a team on a project.
Any chance that VMWare will reconsider?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="50asm"]Any chance that VMWare will reconsider?[/QUOTE]No. You can read the reasons and what may replace this functionality in the bug reports and various threads in this forum.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
50asm

Post by 50asm »

Thank you for your speddy reply!
You may not know the answer to this, but do you buy chance know if it is going to be completely gone, or just the server back-end piece? I don't mind setting up another xmpp server, I just like having all the communication consolidated in one central location in the browser UI.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="50asm"]You may not know the answer to this, but do you buy chance know if it is going to be completely gone, or just the server back-end piece?[/QUOTE]The server is going.
[quote user="50asm"]I don't mind setting up another xmpp server, I just like having all the communication consolidated in one central location in the browser UI.[/QUOTE]According to the bug reports and RFEs (note that these may change before it's implemented) there will be a browser interface to other IM servers.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
blason
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by blason »

but I still wonder why not go for a dedicated EIM server like openfire or ejaabed which can offer lot of very good functionalities as compare to Zimba IM. I mean you can give a try and have your users slowly migrated to new EIM server.
50asm

Post by 50asm »

Now I understand why Zimbra is making this move. :D I actually think that is a great idea! We have openfire in the past and really liked it. Thanks for clarifying the plans for me!
jummo
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jummo »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]The server is going.
According to the bug reports and RFEs (note that these may change before it's implemented) there will be a browser interface to other IM servers.[/QUOTE]
Really cool!
MyBrooklyn

Post by MyBrooklyn »

@ mavlenko's Thank you for your post very helpful and must have instructions on how to enable internal IM for Zimbra 7....
Zimbra please dont remove “internal IM” for future release. I don’t understand you add non sense like social networking modules by default but remove a critical feature like "Internal IM"