[SOLVED] Removed IM server in FOSS 7.0

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mavlenko

Post by mavlenko »

Oh oh,

i just noticed there no IM feature in FOSS 7.0 :(

but in the release notice there was a comment that only next major version

(i think it's 8.0) will not have this feature.
our users are used IM very successfully.

I think IM is very usefull feature and must be grow into non-beta version.

If somebody want to use another XMPP server, lets them go.

But for me it's very simple to have Mail, IM, Samba users in one server,

without

installing ejabberd monster.

Please return IM in 7.0 or may be in 7.0.1 release. I cant upgrade my 6.0.10 to

7.0 without this feature, my users will eat me on breakfast if i turn of IM.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mavlenko"]Oh oh,

i just noticed there no IM feature in FOSS 7.0 :(

but in the release notice there was a comment that only next major version

(i think it's 8.0) will not have this feature.[/QUOTE]It hasn't been removed from Zimbra 7 but it does need activating and it will be removed in the next major version. This subject was raised almost a year ago in these forums, search for the details.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
fschloegl

Post by fschloegl »

and whats the console command to activate it? because it's no longer possible to acticate it after the update.
mavlenko

Post by mavlenko »

wow, actually hasn't been removed :) but removed checkbox from web admin console

To enable for default COS, do command from zimbra user:

zmprov mcf zimbraXMPPEnabled TRUE

zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureIMEnabled TRUE

zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureInstantNotify TRUE

zmprov mc default zimbraPrefIMAutoLogin TRUE
But it is enable IM for all users in default COS, is there any ability to disable IM for some users from web admin console, or any feature to return IM checkbox into web admin console?
And how we can try to convince zimbra developers not to disable IM, and left it optional?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mavlenko"]And how we can try to convince zimbra developers not to disable IM, and left it optional?[/QUOTE]You can't, it will be removed in the next major release. Search the forums for details of what will happen when it's removed - there's a whole thread about it (and bug reports). ;)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
mavlenko

Post by mavlenko »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Search the forums for details of what will happen when it's removed - there's a whole thread about it (and bug reports). ;)[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but i'm not so good in English and may be not so good in searching

through this forum, but only thread i found are date of 2008. And relating to FOSS 5.x 6.x, so a think its outdated.
And Bug#45932 by Sam Khavari has no votes, no one.

I think that indicate that nobody wants to disable IM :)
So if you decide to disable it, as you like :)

I can't to force you not to do that, but it will be good idea to post some manual

or success story about integrating ejabberd2 with zimbra ldap.
From my side i'm just writing article about integrating Zimbra, Samba, Squid (with NTLM_auth), dansGuardian (with zimbras clamAV), sqlim and some other services on Oracle Enterprize Linux 3264 platform.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mavlenko"]Sorry, but i'm not so good in English and may be not so good in searching

through this forum, but only thread i found are date of 2008. And relating to FOSS 5.x 6.x, so a think its outdated.
And Bug#45932 by Sam Khavari has no votes, no one.

I think that indicate that nobody wants to disable IM :)[/QUOTE]Unfortunatley the lack of votes will not stop it from being removed. ;) In that bug report you'll see several mentions of other bug reports that will tell you what will be happening in the future with regards IM in Zimbra - read the whole bug report plus the other reports mentioned in there.
[quote user="mavlenko"]So if you decide to disable it, as you like :)[/QUOTE]I assume you don't mean 'me' specifically? I'm just answering questions on these forums.

[quote user="mavlenko"]I can't to force you not to do that, but it will be good idea to post some manual

or success story about integrating ejabberd2 with zimbra ldap.[/QUOTE]As I've already said, read the bug reports for full details of what the future may hold on this subject.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
fyd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fyd »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]
I assume you don't mean 'me' specifically? I'm just answering questions on these forums.

[/QUOTE]
hehe :) good one. We are glad you do.
[QUOTE]

my users will eat me on breakfast if i turn of IM.

[/QUOTE]

lol :D ..
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by uxbod »

It was raised again at the ZCS 7 webinar today and Zimbras' focus will be to interop with leading IM server products; which means the inbuilt server will disappear in ZCS 8.
mavlenko

Post by mavlenko »

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Especially Phoenix. I certainly did not mean you personally in my post # 6. You guys are doing great and very necessary work. I found a way to enable IM in 7.0 (see my post #4) and before not yet released 8.0 it's enough for me and my users do not eat me for breakfast :) And some time later, i beleave that I find a way for integration eabberd2 with zimbra, and it will be not the problem for me.

Thank you again.