Postfix MX Backup

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
1754drizzt

Postfix MX Backup

Post by 1754drizzt »

Hi all,

I should activate an MX Backup server to store received messages when the Zimbra master server is down.
I know the postfix configuration is really simple, but I would like to know the best method to get domains from Zimbra and to populate relay_domains in postfix's main.cf.
Thanks in advance,

Giorgio Salluzzo
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postfix MX Backup

Post by uxbod »

Welcome to the forums :)
Do you want this to be a automated task ie. on a schedule the domains in ZCS will be dumped to a text file, transferred to your backup MX, and then updated in main.cf ? This may also be possible by a ldapquery directly from the Postfix instance.
1754drizzt

Postfix MX Backup

Post by 1754drizzt »

I think that an LDAP query from the slave should be a good solution but I don't have any experience with LDAP task.
Can you help me, please? ...also pointing me to a page or an old topic it's enough to sort out the problem.
Thanks again,

Giorgio
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postfix MX Backup

Post by rsharpe »

I would suggest you do a multi-server install setting up the MTA on your "backup" server. Just run the install script on the backup server, just install the MTA portion nothing else.
1754drizzt

Postfix MX Backup

Post by 1754drizzt »

The command to obtain the domain list is:

zimbra@smtp:~$ zmprov gad
It could be useful for somebody else... ;)