Accepting messages with illegal syntax

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
1230zaf
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 1230zaf »

We are hosting a customer that uses a voicemail system that forwards their voicemails to them as email attachments. Their system is apparently using a From address as , which is getting rejected by zimbra with the message:

warning: Illegal address syntax from [sending server] in MAIL command:
I know the best option would be to fix the sending system, but their software seems to be very old, and they can't upgrade for various reasons.
I found this thread which seems to be someone with the same problem, but there's not a clear solution:
Is">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/users/5607 ... yntax.html
Is there a zmprov command that will turn off 'strict_rfc821_envelope'?
Thanks!
1230zaf
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 1230zaf »

After doing some more experimenting, it seems that postfix rejects lines with a MAIL FROM:
Does anyone know of a way to get it to accept mail where the FROM address is an IP?
grisha

Post by grisha »

Hi,
I seam to run into exactly the same problem - I have a large number of 3..5 year old Sun servers whose ILOM (management/monitoring) system sends alerts as "ilom-alert@192.168.0.15" (address scrambled) thus resulting in getting this message in the log file:
Jan 23 22:10:20 myZimbraName postfix/smtpd[10195]: connect from sun01.scrambled.com[192.168.0.15]

Jan 23 22:10:20 myZimbraName postfix/smtpd[10195]: warning: Illegal address syntax from sun01.scrambled.com[192.168.0.15] in MAIL command:

Jan 23 22:10:20 myZimbraName postfix/smtpd[10195]: disconnect from sun01.scrambled.com[192.168.0.15]
I'm migrating the e-mail server from aging Sun Enterprise /Solaris-8/sendmail to newer SunFire/CentOS/ZCS-7.1.3_GA.
Under Solaris/sendmail - I've never experienced the above problem; moreover - I've tried sending ILOM alerts to one of my test servers' newly configured "sendmail" - still no problems. Under Zimbra - I'm pulling my hair during last 3 months trying all possible to make ZCS allow those "invalid" addresses (anything in format "") - nothing helps.
Have anybody succeed doing so?
As a very, very stupid way around I've already tried my "backup" plan - configure all those servers' ILOM to send all alerts to some "light" virtual server running CentOS and Sendmail whose only task is to accept the alert for delivery and then re-forward it to my main (ZCS) server. Stupid, but works... it involves an additional and unwanted point of failure and delay though.
I'm totally open to reinstall, reconfigure or try anything less stupid that may allow receiving those alerts directly to my ZCS.
Thanks!