Attaching a link to a shared drive file

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
freebsdboy

Post by freebsdboy »

Our users like to email links to documents from a shared network drive. From outlook they select attachment then find the file, select hyperlink.
How do we do email file path links with web client?
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Post by bdial »

there is no real way to do this in zimbra. The closest way would be to use a file:/// hyperlink but that doesn't work because of a bug
vote for this bug to be fixed
Bug 33333 – "Insert Link" assumes http:// prefix
freebsdboy

Post by freebsdboy »

Voted !
Is their another way to share file links?

notebook or something?
It would make more sense to add the link feature to the attachment button, so you can browse to get the correct path and file name.
Can this be integrated with office so you can do a "send to".
vavilen

Post by vavilen »

Hello!

Is there any other way to attach file from network?
7224jobe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_FOSS Patch38

Post by 7224jobe »

Any news about this issue?

As far as I can see the situation updated to version 7.1.4 is:

IIt's not possible to link an UNC path (i.e. \Shared1_svrShared1WGroupsNetworkOrders.xls) using 'Insert link' in HTML editor because it doesn't recognize it as a valid link (in the sent email the link created is not clickable)

Using the file:// prefix in 'Insert link' creates a wrong http://link:

file://Shared_srv/folder/file.txt becomes http://file//Shared_srv/folder/file.txt

Simply copy/pasting the path in the composing window creates a working clickable link (via the com_zimbra_url zimlet I think) if the path doesn't contain blank spaces in it.

If the path contains blank spaces (e.g. //Shared_srv/folder/my file.txt) the link is correctly created if the email is composed in plain text; if it's composed in HTML using Internet Explorer, the link breaks at the first space and it doesn't work.

I have searched for some bugs about this situation, the number 33333 was closed, but in the comments the problem doesn't appear as completely solved (I haven't found the new bug suggested in comment #11 #12); bug number 56844 seems related to this situation, but access is denied (for me).

Are there any news about path linking, especially in HTML editor?
7224jobe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_FOSS Patch38

Post by 7224jobe »

[quote user="nrc"]It was said in the comments on bug #33333 that someone should file a separate bug since the specific problem that bug referred to was already fixed. Maybe nobody bothered.
If you can't find such a bug in the database then you should submit one. If it happens to be a duplicate of something else it will eventually be triaged as a duplicate and they'll put a link to the correct bug in the notes.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have searched for something similar in bugzilla, but I haven't found anything else except bugs #33333 and #56844, that in my opinion do not completely cover the problem.

So I have just now submitted bug #73037 https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=73037
1415bhwong
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 1415bhwong »

Can I confirm that this bug is fixed? But only available in Zimbra 8?

Will it also works for other customize protocol to loading application such as Microsoft Dynamics NAV
navision://client/run?servername=xxx
btw, is there any zimlet to overcome this issue without having to upgrade to version 8?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="1415bhwong"]Can I confirm that this bug is fixed? But only available in Zimbra 8?[/QUOTE]What does it say in the bug report?
[quote user="1415bhwong"]btw, is there any zimlet to overcome this issue without having to upgrade to version 8?[/QUOTE]Do you not think there would be an answer to that in the bug report, the Product Portal or even the forums?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
1415bhwong
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 1415bhwong »

The other bug report state that this was fixed in previous version 5, but it still show up in version 6 and 7:

Anyway">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=33333
Anyway, what's your purpose to waste your time to write something unhelpful and waste my time to read it?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="1415bhwong"]Anyway, what's your purpose to waste your time to write something unhelpful and waste my time to read it?[/QUOTE]The point was to determine if you'd read the confirmation in the bug report that the bug had been fixed in ZCS 8.x and didn't actually apply to any other version - obviously you could have answered your questions by doing that. I guess I'm wasting my time so don't worry I'll not bother you again.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra