[SOLVED] Yet Another Backup Script for Community Version

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
visualsoftspace

Post by visualsoftspace »

I seem to be doing something wrong. Can anyone give me some guidance on what I should be doing to get the script to work on CentOS 5.1?
Obviously I do not have dar installed, or apt, and I was almost under the impression that it would work without those packages, but it does not. So please forgive me if I am asking in ignorance, but I cannot seem to determine how I might make the script work without installing those packages.
When I attempt to Install the script I tell it not to attempt to install dar or the noread, and then I get the following message:
Please check script Config, and try again

Null message body; hope that's ok
Thanks in advance for your help.
11631chrishewitt

Post by 11631chrishewitt »

[quote user="visualsoftspace"]I seem to be doing something wrong. Can anyone give me some guidance on what I should be doing to get the script to work on CentOS 5.1? Obviously I do not have dar installed, or apt, and I was almost under the impression that it would work without those packages, but it does not. --snip[/QUOTE]
The installer function within the script was written for Ubuntu (the author's OS) so you need to read the script and crib the various components the script is dependent upon and install missing parts (like dar) manually then tweak the various $directories used to suit your own server. I built dar from source downloaded from the project's website. It underpins much of the script and it's certainly not optional..
Christian
11631chrishewitt

Here's another issue I'm seeing. If I cat the Backuplist file for the DIFF backups done each night the file appears to have recorded an error instead of the file information. Here's what's in my backup directory:
[root@zim zimbra-backup-current]# ls -l

total 1508652

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1461461953 Apr 21 13:10 16_Zimbra_Backup_21-April-2008_FULL.1.dar

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 76 Apr 21 13:12 16_Zimbra_Backup_21-April-2008_FULL.1.dar.md5

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26375696 Apr 22 01:33 16_Zimbra_Backup_22-April-2008_DIFF.1.dar

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 76 Apr 22 01:33 16_Zimbra_Backup_22-April-2008_DIFF.1.dar.md5

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27239882 Apr 23 01:33 16_Zimbra_Backup_23-April-2008_DIFF.1.dar

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 76 Apr 23 01:33 16_Zimbra_Backup_23-April-2008_DIFF.1.dar.md5

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27678698 Apr 24 01:33 16_Zimbra_Backup_24-April-2008_DIFF.1.dar

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 76 Apr 24 01:33 16_Zimbra_Backup_24-April-2008_DIFF.1.dar.md5

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 526193 Apr 21 13:12 Backuplist-21-April-2008.txt.gz

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 68 Apr 22 01:33 Backuplist-22-April-2008.txt

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 68 Apr 23 01:33 Backuplist-23-April-2008.txt

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96 Apr 24 01:33 Backuplist-24-April-2008.txt

[root@zim zimbra-backup-current]# cat Backuplist-24-April-2008.txt

FATAL error, aborting operation

too large elastic buffer or elastic buffer incoherent structure
Any ideas?
Christian
heinzg
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by heinzg »

Hi there!
[QUOTE]Just one comment: If the script is not run with the log redirection anytime then the log file is empty always and then the mail feature fails because the cat $LOG string is missing.

Also mailing fails if the $EMAILCC field is empty. (since -c -s)[/QUOTE]
yip i can confirm this, it is a little bug I will fix soon.

the workaround is add a CC someone you like...
heinzg
heinzg
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by heinzg »

[quote user="11631chrishewitt"]The installer function within the script was written for Ubuntu (the author's OS) so you need to read the script and crib the various components the script is dependent upon and install missing parts (like dar) manually then tweak the various $directories used to suit your own server. I built dar from source downloaded from the project's website. It underpins much of the script and it's certainly not optional..
Christian[/QUOTE]
Hi Christian
I can second your answer... dar is not optional :)
heinzg
heinzg
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by heinzg »

[quote user="11631chrishewitt"]Here's another issue I'm seeing. ...

[root@zim zimbra-backup-current]# cat Backuplist-24-April-2008.txt

FATAL error, aborting operation

too large elastic buffer or elastic buffer incoherent structure
Any ideas?
Christian[/QUOTE]
I have noticed this too, this is some odd behavior of dar a possibly a bug in my script when using encryption.
I will have a look at it over the weekend.
Sorry for not answering sooner but I don't get notified about updates anymore for some odd reason.
11631chrishewitt

Here's another oddity.. the backup elapsed time reported after I swapped the backup location to an NFS mount (and so made it much longer):
Full Zimbra Backup ended at: 12:54

Backup took Hr:1 Min:84 Sec:37 to complete
1hr 84 mins!?
webweaver

Post by webweaver »

Hi gang, newbie here with Zimbra and I am wanting to use this script. I've got dar-2.3.7 downloaded and running ./configure, it runs for a bit and stops.
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... unknown

checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... unknown

checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... no

checking for inline... no

checking for off_t... no

checking for pid_t... no

checking for size_t... no

checking for struct stat.st_rdev... no

checking whether sys_siglist is declared... no

checking for size_t... (cached) no

configure: error: Cannot find size_t type

[root@zimbra dar-2.3.7]#
Obviously, I can't even start tinkering with the script without dar so anyone have a tip here? I think I have everything installed that dar wants, I wish dar had a package for centos that yum would see...
Once I get this working, I think this looks like a great script! My /backup folder is a separate 250 gig disk in the server and I want to do a disaster backup and daily zimbra backups.
I read in one of these posts that the script is ubuntu and centos friendly now?
Any modifications I will need to still do besides the basics at the top of the script?
Thanks up front, Dave
11631chrishewitt

another thing.. when the DIFF backup is made it doesn't appear to clear the log file in /var/log/zim_backup.log .. if I cat this file it contains information on the FULL backup and all DIFF backups since. Is this due to the "elastic buffer" failure I'm seeing? (e.g. the backup is bombing before it gets to that point).
Christian
JetteroHeller

Post by JetteroHeller »

How big was the message store you were backing up? I saw that you had 2 mins of server downtime, but was wondering, on a store of like 50GB, how long to expect such a backup to take, assuming an average amount of daily activity for 500 users or so.