[SOLVED] Running sshd on non standard port, having problems changing it in Zimbra 5.0

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

[SOLVED] Running sshd on non standard port, having problems changing it in Zimbra 5.0

Post by jml75 »

Hi,
I run Zimbra 5.0.8 on Debian Etch (4.0).
I decided to use port 36220 for sshd.
I'm trying to change this config in Zimbra's config.
As user zimbra, I run this commant :

zmprov ms SERVER.DOMAIN.COM zimbraRemoteManagementPort 36220

But I'm getting the following error :

ERROR: service.INVALID_REQUEST (invalid request: port 143 conflict between zimbraImapBindPort and zimbraImapProxyBindPort on server SERVER.DOMAIN.COM)

When I run the following command :

zmprov getServer SERVER.DOMAIN.COM | grep -i port

I get the following result :

zimbraAdminPort: 7071

zimbraImapBindPort: 143

zimbraImapProxyBindPort: 143

zimbraImapSSLBindPort: 993

zimbraImapSSLProxyBindPort: 993

zimbraLmtpBindPort: 7025

zimbraMailPort: 80

zimbraMailProxyPort: 0

zimbraMailSSLPort: 443

zimbraMailSSLProxyPort: 0

zimbraMemcachedBindPort: 11211

zimbraPop3BindPort: 110

zimbraPop3ProxyBindPort: 110

zimbraPop3SSLBindPort: 995

zimbraPop3SSLProxyBindPort: 995

zimbraRemoteManagementPort: 22

zimbraSmtpPort: 25

And with this command :

zmprov getServer SERVER.DOMAIN.COM | grep -i proxy

I get :

zimbraImapSSLProxyBindPort: 993

zimbraMailProxyPort: 0

zimbraMailSSLProxyPort: 0

zimbraPop3ProxyBindPort: 110

zimbraPop3SSLProxyBindPort: 995

zimbraReverseProxyHttpEnabled: FALSE

zimbraReverseProxyImapSaslGssapiEnabled: FALSE

zimbraReverseProxyImapStartTlsMode: only

zimbraReverseProxyLookupTarget: FALSE

zimbraReverseProxyMailEnabled: TRUE

zimbraReverseProxyPop3SaslGssapiEnabled: FALSE

zimbraReverseProxyPop3StartTlsMode: only

What do I need to change in order to be able to change my zimbraRemoteManagementPort to 36220?
Thanx for your help.
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

As far as I can tell - the problem is that zmprov is seeing another error (that you have the following two ports the same: zimbraImapBindPort: 143 and ZimbraImapProxyBindPort: 143).
If you first change your ZimbraImapProxyBindPort from 143 to something else, you should then be able to change the ZimbraRemoteManagementPort as far as I can tell.
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jml75 »

Thanx for your input, it is appreciated.
I under stand what you say.
I recall when I installed Zimbra 5.0.8, it asked me if I wanted to enable proxing and I answered no.
I was wondering, if I manually change the port number for zimbraImapProxyBindPort, to some other port, will it cause an other problem?
Should I activate proxying instead so that, according to the doc here, the ports get changed to 7xxx ports?
If during install it was possible to avoid activating proxying, isn't it odd that then zmprov complains about ports being the same?
Thanx!
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

We're not using Proxying here so I left it at the default ports (shown below) without any problems.
zimbraImapProxyBindPort: 7143

zimbraImapSSLProxyBindPort: 7993

zimbraMailProxyPort: 8080

zimbraMailSSLProxyPort: 8443

zimbraPop3ProxyBindPort: 7110

zimbraPop3SSLProxyBindPort: 7995
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jml75 »

Ok, thanx for the tip I'll try it.
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jml75 »

Hum,
Maybe it's me, maybe i'm doing it wrong but I can't get any ports to change. I always get an error.

zimbra@SERVER:~$ zmprov ms SERVER.DOMAIN.COM zimbraImapProxyBindPort 7143

ERROR: service.INVALID_REQUEST (invalid request: port 993 conflict between zimbraImapSSLBindPort and zimbraImapSSLProxyBindPort on server SERVER.DOMAIN.COM)

zimbra@SERVER:~$ zmprov ms SERVER.DOMAIN.COM zimbraImapSSLProxyBindPort 7993

ERROR: service.INVALID_REQUEST (invalid request: port 143 conflict between zimbraImapBindPort and zimbraImapProxyBindPort on server SERVER.DOMAIN.COM)

zimbra@SERVER:~$ zmprov ms SERVER.DOMAIN.COM zimbraPop3ProxyBindPort 7110

zimbra@SERVER:~$ zmprov ms SERVER.DOMAIN.COM zimbraPop3SSLProxyBindPort 7995

Should I be doing these commands while Zimbra is stopped?
Or shoutld I just enable proxying? How do I enable proxying?
Thanx!
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

Having proxying on won't fix the problem - it will then potentially be worse (since I don't know whether the proxy or the regular one of each of those will work).
I would call this a bug in my opinion - Zimbra is complaining about ports being wrong - but not letting you change them because OTHER ports are wrong.
If you have a supported version I'd drop them a note asking how you can change all of the Proxy ports at once.
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

Actually... thought of one thing you can do.
You can change the IMAP/POP ports (though not the proxies that I can find) in the web admin (under configuration, server, double click on your domain).
Change regular IMAP, POP (and their SSL counterparts) temporarily to different ports. Then run the command line utility to change the proxy ports (it won't complain now), then change the non-proxy IMAP/POP back to their regular ports. That should do it all (then let you make the change you wanted to make in the first place).
ArcaneMagus
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ArcaneMagus »

Are you absolutely sure that proxying is actually off? It should only be giving you warnings like that if you decided to install proxying, which you should NOT do unless you are actually going to use it on that server as it causes many strange errors for a regular server to have it installed.
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jml75 »

Hi,
Thanx for your posts.
ArcaneMagus:

As far as I remember, during install, I did not activate proxying. Also, since

zimbraImapBindPort: 143

have the same port value, I think this indicates that proxying is not enabled because if it was, they would be at

zimbraImapBindPort: 7143

so I think that proxying is not enabled.
Really, I don't think that I need proxying and I don't absolutly want it to be on but I really want to be able to change the port for sshd.
chauvetp:

I'll think about your suggestion and I will probably try it. I'll confirm you if it works or not.
So you think that this is a bug that I should report? If any of you Zimbra employees read this threat, I'd like your opinion on this please.
Thanx!