Accessing mail via IMAP instead of pop3

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
1668chandu
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 1668chandu »

I am using zcs 4.5.10 on RHEL5 64 bit, customer are connecting through third party client using pop3
I had installed both pop3 and imap during installation.
Now i want to use imap instead of pop3 becase of some vurnebalities are detected by security team for pop3.
i want to know two things
!) currenty i am getting the option leave a copy on the server by using pop3

Whether i will get same by using IMAP? and how?
2) if i need to change pop3 to imap? what changes i need to do in server side.
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

If you enabled both POP & IMAP during installation you don't need to do much server side. Just check your Class of Service setups to make sure IMAP is enabled, and any firewall settings.
As for IMAP - it works completely differently but in essence - IMAP shows the same folders to any client (web or desktop clients). There is no need to leave messages on the server with IMAP - it always does so unless the end user specifically moves messages to local folders.
I'd recommend reading in more depth about IMAP:

Internet Message Access Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
P.S. What security vulnerabilities are you referring to for POP3? I don't know of any such vulnerabilities. Do you mean with POP3 on Zimbra or in general? We do disable POP3 by default for users but just because we have too many people who will 'accidentally' setup some mail client as POP3 and have it download all their mail.
1668chandu
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 1668chandu »

But i want, whenever user connect the server by using outlook or thunerbird

the mail should be deleted from the server. Is this is possible by using IMAP?
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

I am almost positive that is not possible with IMAP. If that is what you want you should continue using POP (and I know of no security vulnerabilities that should stop you from doing so).