Photos in global address list

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
meesha
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by meesha »

Hi,
somebody know how to give to Zimbra GAL photos from external LDAP? I have photo in jpegPhoto, but there is no photo in Zimbra Address book, people search etc.
Thank you,

Meesha
liveaverage

Post by liveaverage »

I believe this is only possible using Zimbra's internal GAL (AFAIK). You can technically sync to Active Directory (using a GAL sync account) and then modify the GAL from the GAL sync account (via ZimbraAdmin) -- however, it's worth noting that any changes will be overwritten when the account synchronizes with AD again...
The photos DO show and CAN be added via your GAL Sync Account, but they'll be removed after your external GAL resyncs w/ AD/OpenLDAP. I'm hoping a Zimbra staff member might tell me I'm wrong (because I'd really love to map this attribute, too), but I haven't been able to find a Zimbra LDAP attribute to map jpegPhoto or thumbnailPhoto (AD) to...
meesha
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by meesha »

I am going to test add special scheme with "photo" item like in zimbra LDAP scheme. I'll let you know if is it working.
It would be good, if some zimbra stuff let here know if we can use GAL photos directly from external account without sync and next photo adding operations.
liveaverage

Post by liveaverage »

If you try to map the attributes using
zmprov mcf +zimbraGalLdapAttrMap thumbnailPhoto=photo
OR
zmprov mcf +zimbraGalLdapAttrMap thumbnailPhoto=jpegPhoto
It will only yield a bunch of jibberish in your contact entries that contain a photo... I tried mapping to the 'image' attribute, too, but that yielded no result.
meesha
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by meesha »

Mapping attributes like o=company etc. is working. Map jpegPhoto=photo or thumbnailphoto display raw jpeg data in others. I will test storage format and compare saved photo in local LDAP with external LDAP.
meesha
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by meesha »

So there is no other idea. Mapping works fine, but zimbra can't work with data in the photo/jpegPhoto item and displays them as raw data to the Other section. Is GAL photo display supported from external LDAP?
I have found Contacs are saved in the mysql DB and photos are stored like email in store folder, like email attachement.
I have no other idea.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Rich Graves »

When I created a dummy domain, I noticed that the default maps for 7.1.1 now include:
zimbraGalLdapAttrMap: (certificate) userCertificate=userCertificate

zimbraGalLdapAttrMap: (binary) userSMIMECertificate=userSMIMECertificate
Alas, defining a map (binary) jpegPhoto=photo just pastes the base64-encoded photo, which is probably what you meant by "a bunch of jibberish in your contact entries." But clearly the infrastructure is 90% there now.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Rich Graves »

From com/zimbra/cs/account/AttributeType.java, the allowable types are
TYPE_BOOLEAN("boolean"),

TYPE_BINARY("binary"),

TYPE_CERTIFICATE("certificate"),

TYPE_DURATION("duration"),

TYPE_GENTIME("gentime"),

TYPE_EMAIL("email"),

TYPE_EMAILP("emailp"),

TYPE_CS_EMAILP("cs_emailp"),

TYPE_ENUM("enum"),

TYPE_ID("id"),

TYPE_INTEGER("integer"),

TYPE_PORT("port"),

TYPE_PHONE("phone"),

TYPE_STRING("string"),

TYPE_ASTRING("astring"),

TYPE_OSTRING("ostring"),

TYPE_CSTRING("cstring"),

TYPE_REGEX("regex"),

TYPE_LONG("long");
It's possible that I missed some combination or missed the flush cache/force sync (zmprov fc all;zmgsautil forceSync -a gal_sync@example.com -n external), but I don't think any of them work. They definitely do affect processing -- sometimes I see binary gunk in mailbox.log's complaints about inability to index binary data, sometimes I see base64 encoding, and sometimes I see what could be a mktemp filename.
Looks like the only thing to do today is slurp down LDAP on my own and use ModifyContactRequest SOAP calls to shove jpeg's into the galsync account's contacts.
tonus_sebastian

Re: Photos in global address list

Post by tonus_sebastian »

anyone solve this problem ?