External Authentication with Active Directory

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
eatickets

Post by eatickets »

I've got ZCS v6.0.13 running on Ubuntu 8.4, and I'd like to set it up to authenticate against my list of Active Directory users (on a separate Windows server). I've done my research here in the forums and in the Zimbra Wiki about how to set this up, and I understand the configuration procedure. However, I'm concerned about how Zimbra will actually create these mailboxes once the config procedure is finished.
I already have most of my users set up with mailboxes in Zimbra (as well as with user accounts in Active Directory), and I want my existing users to keep their existing mail. When I set up external authentication with Active Directory, will these existing mailboxes be deleted/duplicated/modified in any way? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="eatickets"]I've got ZCS v6.0.13 running on Ubuntu 8.4, and I'd like to set it up to authenticate against my list of Active Directory users (on a separate Windows server). I've done my research here in the forums and in the Zimbra Wiki about how to set this up, and I understand the configuration procedure. However, I'm concerned about how Zimbra will actually create these mailboxes once the config procedure is finished. [/QUOTE]Zimbra does not create the mailboxes, you do.
[quote user="eatickets"]I already have most of my users set up with mailboxes in Zimbra (as well as with user accounts in Active Directory), and I want my existing users to keep their existing mail. When I set up external authentication with Active Directory, will these existing mailboxes be deleted/duplicated/modified in any way? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.[/QUOTE]Using an external source for authentication is just that - for authentication and nothing else.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jorge Martinez

Post by jorge Martinez »

You must create the account in Zimbra, then you could configure External autentication so Zimbra check credentials against a LDAP or AD. User ID should be identical, as Zimbra try %u@ in the lookup.
It is also posible to batch import accounts from AD or LDAP using "Avanced Tools" > Import Accounts from Zimbra Administration.
greeting
50asm

Post by 50asm »

We are on version 7.14 and had a quick question along the same lines.
Our active directory users are configured to log in with their first name only.
We just moved form exchange and all the emails are configured First Initial LastName@domain.com and now Zimbra wants everyone to log-in using the First Initial LastName patern which is not consistent with AD.
We have configured the active directory integration (LDAP), and by default it is only bringing over passwords for the authentication. I know that I could create an alias for each user, but that is not a very clean way of doing it. Does anyone know of a way to automatically map the two different username styles so that Zimbra will default to the way it is listed in AD?
I should also mention that the next step for us is to implement spnego for single sign-on, so if I understand how that works correctly we will need the consistency. If I am wrong, please let me know.
Thank you all in advance!