Forward-only accounts from admin UI

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
batfastad
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by batfastad »

Hi everyone
I realise that you can forward mail from a Zimbra account to an alternate e-mail address using the forwarding address in preferences.
But is there an easier way for an admin to create a "forwarder"?

At the moment, forwarding mail from one address to another involves dedicating a Zimbra license for that forwarder.

It would be great if you could create a forwarder straight from the admin UI, not a full-blown Zimbra account. Similar to the way you create an alias.
When dealing with customers on our cPanel servers they often have various forwarding addresses set up and that doesn't transfer nicely to Zimbra without using up a licensed account for each forwarder.
Any comments / suggestions on this?
Cheers, B
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Post by bdial »

you can use resources for this. they behave like regular accounts for mail forwarding and don't use a license.
batfastad
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by batfastad »

Aha, that's a good workaround :D
I still think it would be beneficial to have a new account type called "Forwarder" in addition to Accounts/Aliases/Distribution Lists/Resources.

Using Resources in that manner seems like a bit of a kludge.
Thanks for the info though, that will have to do in the meantime.
Cheers, B
dsiminiuk

Re: Forward-only accounts from admin UI

Post by dsiminiuk »

I've used distribution lists for this. The list has only one member but it works.

I can't figure out how to get a user@myaliasdomain.com to forward to an (off-site) internet email address. It works fine for a real domain, just not an alias domain.