How can I make spamassassin work effectively? 8.6

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
FredKarno

Postby FredKarno » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:40 am

Folks,

I'm trying to make my spam assassin work, and I'm having trouble finding documentation for 8.6. It seems that quite a lot of this config has changed recently and I'm only getting linked to obsolete docs.

Apart from my google-fu fail... does anyone have any tips? I've followed this doc the antispam strategies entry in the Zimbra wiki 

but I haven't installed Razor and Pyzor - are they really necessary?

Right now I'm tempted to fire up my ASSP VM again and run it upstream of my Zimbra server, but it seems a waste to have to do that when Zimbra is meant to have an equivalent spam filtering function built in.

Does anyone have any useful tips?

thank you all,

Fred

FredKarno

Postby FredKarno » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:39 am

Hmm, well it does look like I'll have to introduce some form of spam filtering outside Zimbra. I'm getting very sick of reading spam from the same senders over and over again despite reporting them every time. This spam filter is too thick to learn! (and I have enabled learning). Hey ho. I guess nothing is perfect.
dbayer
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 8.7.11

Postby dbayer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi Fred,

Have you looked at your email headers, to see how Spam assassin is grading spam and ham? It could be that it just needs more email fed to it for learning. You do know to right click on your Junk folder and tell it to empty the folder right? Spam assassin will not learn about your spam until you do that.

Good Luck,

Daniel
FredKarno

Postby FredKarno » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:12 am

Nope I didn't know about the Junk Folder - and it seems to have made a difference already! Thank you for not laughing at the Noob :)

The scoring shown in the headers has now improved markedly, which I guess we would expect.

I'll keep monitoring it.

Thank you!
djk

Re: How can I make spamassassin work effectively? 8.6

Postby djk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 am

dbayer wrote:...

You do know to right click on your Junk folder and tell it to empty the folder right? Spam assassin will not learn about your spam until you do that.

Daniel

Is there some Zimbra documentation which confirms that you need to empty the Junk folder before those messages will be learnt as spam?

It looks to me (on a ZImbra 8.6 single server) like an email moved to the Junk folder goes into the queue of spam to be learnt (sent to spam.xyz mailbox), and an email moved out of the Junk folder goes into the queue of ham to be learnt (ham.pqr), and the spam & ham learning happens in a batch before midnight.

David.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:07 am

djk wrote:Is there some Zimbra documentation which confirms that you need to empty the Junk folder before those messages will be learnt as spam?
djk wrote:That is not correct.

[quote="djk"It looks to me (on a ZImbra 8.6 single server) like an email moved to the Junk folder goes into the queue of spam to be learnt (sent to spam.xyz mailbox), and an email moved out of the Junk folder goes into the queue of ham to be learnt (ham.pqr), and the spam & ham learning happens in a batch before midnight.
That is correct and it's how spam training works in ZCS.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
lowhigh

Postby lowhigh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:25 pm

phoenix wrote:
djk wrote:Is there some Zimbra documentation which confirms that you need to empty the Junk folder before those messages will be learnt as spam?
djk wrote:That is not correct.

[quote="djk"It looks to me (on a ZImbra 8.6 single server) like an email moved to the Junk folder goes into the queue of spam to be learnt (sent to spam.xyz mailbox), and an email moved out of the Junk folder goes into the queue of ham to be learnt (ham.pqr), and the spam & ham learning happens in a batch before midnight.
That is correct and it's how spam training works in ZCS.

Hi phoenix!

Please tell me what SA will do in this my case:

+ Registration email of many ISP send me emails about my orders, but these emails always go to Junkbox, they are not marked SPAM when go to Gmail, Yahoo mail Server.
+ I have to mark it that not SPAM in webmail but after a while, a new email from that address which was marked not SPAM still go to Junk box
+ I do many many times from somes email address like this situation but seem Zimbra always think them really Junk

The zmtrainsa command can be run manually to forward any folder from any mailbox to the spam training mailboxes. To send a folder to the spam training mailbox, type the command as:

zmtrainsa <server> <user> <password> spam [foldername]
To send the to the non-spam training mailbox, type:

zmtrainsa <server> <user> <password> ham [foldername]

Is there any ideals?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:32 pm

You're going to have to look at the headers of some of the messages in the junk folder to see why they#re marked as spam.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
lowhigh

Postby lowhigh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:50 pm

phoenix wrote:You're going to have to look at the headers of some of the messages in the junk folder to see why they#re marked as spam.

Dear sir!

This is the header of message

X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=7.054 required=6.6 tests=[FSL_HELO_BARE_IP_2=0.001,
HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, MIME_HTML_ONLY=0.001, RCVD_HELO_IP_MISMATCH=1.186,
RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO=0.865, RDNS_NONE=5, SPF_PASS=-0.001,
URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=no autolearn_force=no

I think it's caused by RDNS, but the problem here is: i marked it as not spam maunally but seem SA doesnot learn this for the similar emails from this address.
I think when a email was marked as not spam once, the next time it will passthrough SA and go to Inbox immediatelly like Gmail?

Please explain me Option "autolearn=no autolearn_force=no" in this header.

Thanks phoenix!

Return to “Administrators”