Upgrade from CentOS 5 to 7 and ZCS 7.2 to 8.6

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
John.Robinson

Post by John.Robinson »

My client currently has CentOS 5 and ZCS 7.2 on a now rather elderly server. They've ordered a new server and I want to put a fresh install of CentOS 7 on it, and the latest ZCS.
From what I've read I'm assuming that I have to go ZCS 7.2 to 8.0 to 8.6. Now, as I understand it I can't upgrade to ZCS 8.0 on CentOS 5 then copy the installation across, nor can I install ZCS 7.2 on CentOS 7 and upgrade after moving across.
Can I just copy my ZCS 7.2 installation (/opt/zimbra plus the mail store I put on /srv/zimbra) to the new CentOS 7 machine, even if it can't actually start, then run the ZCS 8.0 installer and have it migrate everything? Or are there other intermediate steps I could take - without needing a CentOS 6 server - or should I use something else like the ZeXtras migration tool?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool - it's easy to use, does what it says on the tin and it's free and I've used it many times without problem. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
noghost

Re: Upgrade from CentOS 5 to 7 and ZCS 7.2 to 8.6

Post by noghost »

Thank you phoenix, I'm newbie here and glad to get your advice. I have same issue John and review ZeXtras Migration Tool, it's free but import process need ZeXtras Backup. It's not free.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

noghost wrote:Thank you phoenix, I'm newbie here and glad to get your advice. I have same issue John and review ZeXtras Migration Tool, it's free but import process need ZeXtras Backup. It's not free.
Read the documentation, it is free to use for thirty days and I wouldn't recommend it if what I said was incorrect.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
noghost

Post by noghost »

phoenix wrote:
noghost wrote:Thank you phoenix, I'm newbie here and glad to get your advice. I have same issue John and review ZeXtras Migration Tool, it's free but import process need ZeXtras Backup. It's not free.
Read the documentation, it is free to use for thirty days and I wouldn't recommend it if what I said was incorrect.
I read document again, you're right, thank you for your reply. You save my day!