My upgrade notes for 8.7

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
JakeMS

My upgrade notes for 8.7

Post by JakeMS »

Hey guys,

I had a few issues when going from 8.6 (latest patch) to 8.7, figured I'd post up what I did to fix the issues in case they hit anyone else.

Firstly, I'd like to point out this is with CentOS 6 x86_64 (all latest patches applied).

Before upgrade, you may find your proxy service is not set up, even more so if you have a fairly old server like mine that's been upgraded multiple times, you'll want to get this working, configured and running before attempting to upgrade. The installer will stop you if it detects proxy is not configured.

At this point, you'll need to know if you have zimbra-proxy installed, if you do not, use a 8.6 installer to do so, however if like me you've got an old server and indeed Zimbra Proxy is installed, but not configured then you'll want to run these commands, assuming of course you're using https, you'll also want to set these to match your configuration:

Code: Select all

$ su - zimbra
$ ./libexec/zmproxyconfig -e -w -o -a 8080:<public HTTP port>:8443:<public HTTPS port> -x https -H `zmhostname`
$ ./libexec/zmproxyconfig -e -m -o -i 7143:143:7993:993 -p 7110:110:7995:995 -H `zmhostname`
If you have done this step successfully, you should be able to use the service command to restart zimbra, check your 8.6 server is still working okay, if everything is good, you're ready to start the upgrade. Run the zimbra 8.7 installer and let it do its thing.

After upgrade, you may find your local mail as stopped working (cron mail etc). This is due to Zimbra changing its default sendmail executable location.

It moved from here:
/opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail

To here:
/opt/zimbra/common/sbin/sendmail

As such, you'll want to update your alternatives like so:

$ alternatives --remove mta /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail
$ alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/sendmail 25 \
       --slave /usr/bin/mailq mta-mailq /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/mailq \
       --slave /usr/bin/newaliases mta-newaliases /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/newaliases \
       --slave /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.1.gz mta-mailqman /opt/zimbra/common/share/man/man1/mailq.1 \
       --slave /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.1.gz mta-newaliasesman /opt/zimbra/common/share/man/man1/newaliases.1 \
       --slave /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.gz mta-sendmailman /opt/zimbra/common/share/man/man1/sendmail.1 \
       --slave /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.5.gz mta-aliasesman /opt/zimbra/common/share/man/man5/aliases.5 \
       --initscript zimbra

$ alternatives --config mta
In addition, if you have DMARC enabled you may find local mail will now fail DMARC checks like so:

Return-Path: root@<serverhostname>
Received: from <ipv6 public address> (LHLO <serverhostname>)
 <ipv6 public address> by <serverhostname> with LMTP; Sat, 16 Jul
 2016 19:25:50 +0100 (BST)
Received: from localhost (localhost.localdomain [IPv6:::1])
	by <serverhostname> (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8201834D2009
	for <my email>; Sat, 16 Jul 2016 19:25:50 +0100 (BST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at <domain>
X-Spam-Flag: YES
X-Spam-Score: 7.1
X-Spam-Level: *******
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=7.1 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9,
	DMARC_FAIL_REJECT=9, NO_RELAYS=-0.001, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001]
	autolearn=no autolearn_force=no
Received: from <serverhostname> ([IPv6:::1])
	by localhost (<serverhostname> [IPv6:::1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
	with ESMTP id yJLwcxK4t8Un for <my email>;
	Sat, 16 Jul 2016 19:25:40 +0100 (BST)
Received: by <serverhostname> (Postfix, from userid 0)
	id 2A92934D204F; Sat, 16 Jul 2016 19:25:40 +0100 (BST)
You'll want to edit this file:
/opt/zimbra/data/spamassassin/localrules/local.cf

And add this type of line:

#   Whitelist System Emails
whitelist_from logwatch@yourdomain.com
Simply add an entry for each cron service which may send mail, this'll basically stop the mail from being marked as spam. But it does not stop the DMARC fail, but it is enough to stop false positive spam results on your local system mails.

After this I've experienced no further issues.

Hope this helps someone :D

Good luck!
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Re: My upgrade notes for 8.7

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi Jake,
Have you followed this Wiki we have? We mention some stuff like

zmprov mcf zimbraMtaCommandDirectory /opt/zimbra/common/sbin
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaDaemonDirectory /opt/zimbra/common/libexec
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMailqPath /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/mailq
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaManpageDirectory /opt/zimbra/common/share/man
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaNewaliasesPath /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/newaliases
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaSendmailPath /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/sendmail
Let us know
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
JakeMS

Post by JakeMS »

Hi,

My notes are for issues which are not currently documented or may only effect people in certain use cases.

I ran those commands as part of the standard upgrade procedure, but these are issues which popped up after the upgrade was completed. I didn't feel the need to list them in my first post as they are already documented. :D.

Note: I can't check to see if anything else has been added since I last read it yesterday however, as currently wiki is not working for me, blank page in Firefox and "The wiki.zimbra.com page isn’t working wiki.zimbra.com is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500" in chromium.
allenw

Post by allenw »

In addition, if you have DMARC enabled you may find local mail will now fail DMARC checks like so:
This one was killing me. So thank you for that!
saschadd
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.11_GA_3737.RHEL7

Post by saschadd »

Where is my qestion? Has it been deleted? Why?