2FA is NE only? Plans for support in Community Ed?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
baena

2FA is NE only? Plans for support in Community Ed?

Post by baena »

Reading

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Two ... entication
Coming with Zimbra Collaboration 8.7 (only in Network Edition) is an exciting new feature: two-factor authentication (also known as 2FA).
It sure sounds like 2FA is *not* released for Community version as well? Is that correct?

If true, is there any plan to change that anytime soon?

I don't consider 2FA as a 'premium feature'; it's basic security.

I get it: your product, your rules.

I'm just looking to get clear on this. If it's not available in Community Ed, that's just another function I'll move outside of the Zimbra server.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: 2FA is NE only? Plans for support in Community Ed?

Post by phoenix »

baena wrote:Reading

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Two ... entication
Coming with Zimbra Collaboration 8.7 (only in Network Edition) is an exciting new feature: two-factor authentication (also known as 2FA).
baena wrote:It sure sounds like 2FA is *not* released for Community version as well? Is that correct?
That's correct.
baena wrote:If true, is there any plan to change that anytime soon?
I doubt it.
baena wrote:I don't consider 2FA as a 'premium feature'; it's basic security.
I would agree.
baena wrote:I get it: your product, your rules.
You could always file a bugzill RFE and state your position there, get some votes on it and it might cause Zimbra to reconsider their position.
baena wrote:I'm just looking to get clear on this. If it's not available in Community Ed, that's just another function I'll move outside of the Zimbra server.
I'm not a Zimbra employee, just a normal user but my comments are basically the position as I see it at this moment in time. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
baena

Post by baena »

I would agree.
I'm not a Zimbra employee, just a normal user but my comments are basically the position as I see it at this moment in time. :)
Sure. It's a big tent. Lots of admins & users feel the same.
You could always file a bugzill RFE and state your position there, get some votes on it and it might cause Zimbra to reconsider their position.
It's not a bug. Not even an 'enhancement' IMO. And I'm not a fan of product-specs-by-popular-vote.

No need to push rocks uphill. I'm certain they're aware of 2FA's availability & adoption in many other products.

It's just a decision by Z's product management re value.

Would be interesting to hear an 'official' statement at some point.
tonster
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.7.0_GA_1659.RHEL6_64_2016

Post by tonster »

Well, the official statement is that it's only available in network edition at this time, with no plans currently to release in FOSS. that could change, sure, but as its just been released, I would expect that isn't the current plan or we'd have released it as a FOSS Feature initially.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
baena

Post by baena »

>> If it's not available in Community Ed, that's just another function I'll move outside of the Zimbra server.
> it's only available in network edition at this time, with no plans currently to release in FOSS

That's clear thanks. I'll move basic 2FA access control outside of Zimbra too then.
barrydegraaff
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by barrydegraaff »

Zimbra Community Edition 2FA is coming though! It will be powered by PrivacyIDEA.

And will support TOTP, HOTP and Yubikeys. Also there will be device-passwords to be used with
ActiveSync (zpush) and IMAP.

https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/zimbra-foss-2fa

https://fundrazr.com/51S949?ref=ab_f6Tyre (donate now!)