Recover deleted mail

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
iibarguren

Recover deleted mail

Post by iibarguren »

Hi,

In our company is quite usual that some users ask for restoring a "mail deleted accidentally"... Does zimbra have any tool to do that? or there is any tool, script, whatever to backup user mailbox folders/messages and restore them individually??
thanks in advance
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Recover deleted mail

Post by phoenix »

If an email is deleted from one of the folders then it will be in the Trash folder for itr's designated retention period. If, however, the user also deletes an email from the Trash folder then it's gone as it's removed from the server and file system. To 'recover' an email that's been removed from the user's folders and the Trash folder you need to have the Dumpster feature enabled, take a look at the documentation for that feature - you should be aware that this feature will require additional space fro retained emails, you will therefore need to factor that into the storage requirements based on the retention period you define.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
iibarguren

Post by iibarguren »

thank you! I´ll try it
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

iibarguren wrote:thank you! I´ll try it
If it's not clear from my earlier reply, the Dupmster function would only be useful in the future if any users deletes an email that must be recovered and it won't help for current mail that's been deleted from the trash folder.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra