Sudden high cpu on zimbra/mysqld/java

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
glenndm
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.15.GA.3829.UBUNTU16.64

Sudden high cpu on zimbra/mysqld/java

Post by glenndm »

Hello,

Today I noticed my VM server cooling fan starting up, which is a sure tell sign that a process is running amok.
I found that indeed zimbra processes mysqld and java were using 100% cpu. This is unusual for this zimbra server - normally very low cpu usage

On internet's advice, I increased the RAM allocation - it was about 80% in use - and restarted the server.
After reboot, zimbra mysqld and java jumped back up to high cpu. the extra ram allocation unused.

The version was 8.7.3 GA network edition. I also upgraded to 8.7.6, but the same behaviour continues.

I found this blog http://www.alexkuo.info/?p=88 and this one http://www.thatsmyview.net/2010/04/17/o ... d-low-ram/
Are these commands still applicable?

[update] about 2 hours in, the crisis seems over - cpu usage is back around 10 %
no clue what just happened.
glenn
flunda
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.7.0_GA_1659.RHEL6_64 @ CentOS_6

Re: Sudden high cpu on zimbra/mysqld/java

Post by flunda »

Hi,

have you checked what's going on during this time with zmmytop? I found some mailboxes running amok through this.
glenndm
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.15.GA.3829.UBUNTU16.64

Post by glenndm »

Hello,
No , I haven't looked at that, that'll be for a next occurrence, also time to learn what zmmytop learns.

At the moment, zmmytop shows eveything to be quiet

thanks for the help
thameera

Post by thameera »

Hi,

I have the same issue after upgrade to 8.9. In my case Only mailbox process runs 100% CPU and loading mail slow. I still haven't restart the server and check. If you change any configurations please let me know.

Thanks,
Thameera