Error to reinstall zimbra 8.7 to new server

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sirtec

Re: Error to reinstall zimbra 8.7 to new server

Post by sirtec »

Hello Dualboot,

I re-install the server again and I am getting the same error, the service Starting logswatch...failed.
I followed all your steps but error continue, I do know what happens

:( :?: :?:

I apreciate your advice...
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

What is your last error now ?

For backup you can try any kind of solution like VEEAM backup.

Regards,
sirtec

Post by sirtec »

Hello;

I reinstall the ubuntu server.
I make a new copy from the current server( it is running good).
but I get the same problem in the zmcontrol status all services are running but in the web admin console all services are in red status.
I did all options you suggest but anything working.

I apreciate your help

Best Regards,
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member

Post by DualBoot »

First is it a mono server ?
sirtec

Post by sirtec »

hello;

Yes I just get one server and I am moving to another server, only one.

Regards;
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member

Post by DualBoot »

Is your DNS and your /etc/hosts OK ?
sirtec

Post by sirtec »

Hello,

I have checked and I see good, also here there are the configuration:

The current server has the ip 172.16.2.2, and the new one is in a different network for the moment it has 172.16.0.2, I suppose it does not mater,

;
; BIND data file for desamparados
;
$TTL 3h
@ IN SOA desamparados.cr. ns1.desamparados.cr. (
1 ; Serial
3h ; Refresh after 3 hours
1h ; Retry after 1 hour
1w ; Expire after 1 week
1h ) ; Negative caching TTL of 1 day

@ IN NS mail.desamparados.cr.
@ IN MX 5 mail.desamparado.cr.
;@ IN TXT "v=spf1 a:mail.desamparados.cr. -all"

mail IN A 172.16.0.2
ns1 IN A 172.16.0.2

hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.0.1.1 mail
172.16.0.2 mail.desamparados.cr mail

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

resolv.conf

nameserver 127.0.0.1

hostname

mail.desamparados.cr
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

Sirtec, I have used a variation of your method. I test all my upgrades to production servers by rehearsing to reduce downtime and verify my disaster recovery/backup methods continue to work.

If your only problem is zmcontrol status works from the command prompt but not from the gui, that has been answered many times in the forums. It's really easy to fix/repair but requires more identification to know what the correct fix is for your environment. Hint: The gui runs the same command that you are running from the command line. That first line which is a hostname returned by zmcontrol status is used via syslog to send STATUS entries to zimbra-stats.log which is later parsed and used by the gui to show status.

The key I have found when rsyncing to build your new or a standby host is first to have zimbra to install some of its support files. This is the config stuff in /etc such as syslog/cron/sudo, etc. In your case, it could be that rsyslog/syslog is missing some entries and/or crontab may not have been installed. Sometimes, cron isn't running or syslog, etc. I have experienced and created all of those by going off script. :-)

I have been surprised how smart install.sh can be at times at repairing broken installations given what I have thrown at it.

I begin on a new machine with the following steps:

[*]update /etc/hosts so its what the production machine has
[*]Run local bind and modify /etc/resolv.conf to point to this named and keep the illusion of production server
[*]Use the same zimbra software release as existing production

Then, Install all the same modules as the production server with this line on the new server.

Code: Select all

./install.sh -s --skip-activation-check
See this thread for a more detailed description. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61265#p274044

Then I rsync over and over until it's ready (note: ldap is a 80+GB sparse tree so faster to ignore) ... update the ldap on this new server when you are ready to cut over, do a final install.sh which now behaves like an update; tell zimbra to change the ip and your are done. The last few rsync's can happen in seconds from my experience even with 500+GB of mailbox's on disk. This is my disaster recovery method should we lose a datacenter and I had to bring something up quick. I also use the same method for moving/testing to new hosting providers. Not very fancy and there are lots of examples and scripts in the wiki's and forums how others do this in a more automated fashion. For me, it's just a few commands so I tend to keep it simple.
sirtec

Post by sirtec »

Hello;

Finally; I apply all solutions when I see all services started on the web admin, but unfurtunally I do not know what was the solution that worked, but I am very happy it is solved, I only receiving this error when I try to see the Email queue:

Crítico Se ha detectado un error del servidor

Best Regards,
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

sirtec wrote:Hello;

Finally; I apply all solutions when I see all services started on the web admin, but unfurtunally I do not know what was the solution that worked, but I am very happy it is solved, I only receiving this error when I try to see the Email queue:

Crítico Se ha detectado un error del servidor

Best Regards,
Take a look at this wiki article: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Mail_Queue_Monitoring
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra