Rspamd: Fast, free and open-source spam filtering system

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
SEA80

Re: Rspamd: A replacement for Spamassassin & Postscreen

Post by SEA80 »

Since rspamd ver.1.7 we've got a great "quarantine_on_reject" option which tells MTA to quarantine high-scored-spam emails instead of rejecting it. I set this option to true, but zimbra rejecting these messages anyway. I think the problem is MTA can not receive or execute command to quarantine from rspamd.

I've tried to change zimbraAmavisFinalSpamDestiny to D_PASS, manually make a new variables $spam_admin and $spam_quarantine_to in amavisd.conf.in, assign quarantine address using amavisVirusQuarantineTo, but I got no effect at all.
Next I tried to turn spamassassin service on again and increase spam tag & kill levels to their max values, but it doesn't work too.

Is anybody has an idea how to fix this?

UPDATE 2018-05-14
I decided to not use this rspamd feature because emails (not) goes to "hold" postfix queue. Such type of quarantine is more complicated to manage than just redirecting spam messages to the special mailbox.

UPDATE 2018-07-12
There was a bug with the option "quarantine_on_reject" in rspamd logic: https://github.com/vstakhov/rspamd/comm ... 16f1684626
It will be fixed on 1.7.8 stable release and it has been already fixed in experimental branch. Unfortunately now I can't check is this issue gone or not because my rspamd works on a separate server now.
Last edited by SEA80 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

Post by davidkillingsworth »

So it's the middle of 2018 and I'm starting to see interest in RSPAMD increasing. I know that user phoenix has been evangelizing it for quite some time.

I have a few questions before considering the move.

If I decide to convert from Spamassasin and Postscreen and install RSPAMD, do I need to disable Spamassassin and Postscreen? What happens when I upgrade from Zimbra 8.8.8 to 8.8.9 for example? Do I need to re-install and re-configure RSPAMD? Do I need to disable Spamassassin and Postscreen again?

Is there any possibility that RSPAMD will be built into Zimbra instead of Spamassasin and Postscreen?

Thanks for any information.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Spamassassin needs to be disabled and I reset postscreen to it's default install settings and I also let rspamd do all the RBL checking. Once it's in rspamd doesn't need to be reinstalled and only a couple of modifications need to be made to the ZCS configuration which I think I've covered in my first post and the wiki article - I'll check that in a minute.

[EDIT]Seems that I only briefly cover it in the first post of this thread and haven't really expanded on that in the wiki article, oops! I'll rectify that later today. :) You also need to use the modified script for zmtrainsa and that needs changing after each upgrade as ZCS overwrites.

All in all, the upgrade of a standard ZCS server is trivial to get rspamd integrated again.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

davidkillingsworth wrote:Is there any possibility that RSPAMD will be built into Zimbra instead of Spamassasin and Postscreen?
Sorry, I forgot answer this part of your post. I'd love to give you some good news but..... unfortunately there is very little activity on the bug report RFE, it gained some votes over the past year but not that many and with Zimbra basically ignoring anything that's said in these forums or added to the OSS version bugzilla then I don't hold out much hope of any change. As I've mentioned many, times I've had no real contact with any Zimbra employee since Synacor came on the scene. Despite their occasional statement about how the value the forums and OSS product users the total lack of interest in the forums and it's members is outstandingly stupid in my opinion. As you can guess from those comments I feel totally disillusioned and unmotivated to do much on the forums, it's sad but that's my view based on what I see here.

These forums and it's members are a fantastic resource for promoting Zimbra but it's being left to wither, I think that perhaps Synacor doesn't understand Open Source projects nor their value.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

Post by davidkillingsworth »

Hi Bill,

Did you see the Zimbra blog post from 2 months ago that they are changing the Bugzilla / Jira bug tracking mechanism?

I just wrote a very long comment to the blog post (the comment hasn't been posted yet as it is awaiting admin moderation), and I encourage you and anyone else from these open source forums to do the same.

https://blog.zimbra.com/2018/05/zimbras ... g-process/

Thanks,
David
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Hi David,

Yes, I did see that blog post and also the forum post on the same topic. I added a comment and question to the forum post but there was no follow-up on that comment (and various others I've made here) and I don't feel confident there will be any useful response to any Blog post comments. This is the whole point of my comments in these forums, there is no attempt by anyone at Zimbra to engage with anyone on any subject in these forums - that's the reason I think the forums are being left to die. If your comment on the blog post gets released I'll reconsider posting there. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

I have a question about using CBPolicyD and the zimbra milter for specific features.

It seems installed Rpsamd prevents cbpolicyd and the zimbra milter from working (they get bypassed completely). I would like to use rate limiting, spf check etc from cbpolicyd and I would also like to use distribution list access restrictions from zimbra milter.

How can i get around this issue?

We have a user who had account compromised and now spammers are targeting all our distribution lists with cryptolocker viruses. Id like to limit access to internal senders only.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Rspamd does rate limiting and SPF checks, you haven't posted any information so why is it stopping the milter from starting?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

Hi @Phoenix!

The zimbra milter is working the issue is, it runs on port 7076 and when you configure rspamd, the change zimbraMtaSmtpdMilters: smtpd_milters=inet:localhost:11332 bypasses the default milter.

unless I have completely broken something. or missed the boat on what appears to be happening, I am stuck trying to find a way to prevent exteranl addresses from abusing our distribution lists.

Thanks for pointing out rate limiting can be done in rspamd. More often than Iwould like, we have email accounts hacked and I would like to prevent getting blacklisted by limiting the volume of mail they can send out.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Although I don't use multiple milters I was under the impression that you can set multiple smtpd_milters like this: http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html#per-milter

[EDIT]Sorry I'd forgotten about this bug (which affects multiple milters): https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=97706 - you'll see from that last comment there's a workaround for it. If you try it and it works I'd like to hear about how youy get on with it.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra