Rspamd: Fast, free and open-source spam filtering system

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Rspamd: A replacement for Spamassassin & Postscreen

Post by phoenix »

Do you mean the Rspamd web site quickstart here: https://rspamd.com/doc/quickstart.html - those modifications are in the nginx.conf file. It does help if your tell us which guide(s) you're using when you have a question/problems. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

phoenix wrote:Do you mean the Rspamd web site quickstart here: https://rspamd.com/doc/quickstart.html - those modifications are in the nginx.conf file. It does help if your tell us which guide(s) you're using when you have a question/problems. :)
Sorry, that was supposed to be a Link :D !

I was following this section https://rspamd.com/doc/quickstart.html# ... -the-webui. I noticed several different conf files for zimbra nginx and did not want to just guess. Turns out the solution did not require all that.

Adding the following line to /usr/local/etc/rspamd/local.d/worker-controller.inc did the trick for me.

bind_socket = "0.0.0.0:11334";
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Glad you've fixed it. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
carlosbetiol

Post by carlosbetiol »

Hello Phoenix, I have installed from your tutorial the Rspamd to my Zimbra. I think that put this in production. Can you give to me some information about where I find a Rspamd tunning tutorial ? (put additional RBLs, finally, best practices).

Thank you.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

carlosbetiol wrote:Hello Phoenix, I have installed from your tutorial the Rspamd to my Zimbra. I think that put this in production. Can you give to me some information about where I find a Rspamd tunning tutorial ? (put additional RBLs, finally, best practices).
If you're going to put this in production then would suggest that you install a plain rspamd system with no 'tuning' modifications. See how you get on with that for a period of time and make a list of what you think may need changing. I have not modified my rspamd configuration too much and it's working fine for me.

As I mentioned in the initial post, do not modify any of the config files in the main /etc/rspamd directory, changes should go in the "local.d" and "override.d" directories - they obviously add functions to the main configuration ("local.d) and override the supplied functions (override.d). For example you mentioned RBLs, all the rspamd modules are specified in the modules.d directory, if you want to add a new RBL then it would go in the local.d directory in a file named rbl.conf and that would be added to the already installed list of RBLs. If you want to override one of the currently defined RBLs then the new behaviour would go in the file override.d/rbl.conf - that's true for all rspamd configuration. I should also mention that each config file has details in it of where you can add files to override the default rspamd behaviour.

I'll help where I can but I can't really advise you on 'best practice' or detailed technical questions as I'm only running rspamd on my home server but if you need any technical advice on rspamd you could take a look at the google group here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rspamd and the rspamd site has a ton of information on rspamd configuration - have you looked at both of those?

I'd be interested to hear what sort of ZCS installation you have - single/multi server; how many users; how many users/emails per day? Good luck with your install and do keep us updated. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

I am using Rspamd on production servers. Switched 2 servers this week and plan to switch them all over the next few days. Of the 4 email servers we have. The largest has approx 500 users and recieves approx 10 to 15K messages a day. The smallest is my office server with 30 users and about 3k messages a day. I dont mind testing features or running benchmarks so if you have any questions let me know. All servers are hosted by centurylink running Zcs 8.7.11 on centos 6.9 with 2 cpu and 4GB ram and from 300gb to 1TB hdd space.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

sangamc wrote:I am using Rspamd on production servers. Switched 2 servers this week and plan to switch them all over the next few days. Of the 4 email servers we have. The largest has approx 500 users and recieves approx 10 to 15K messages a day. The smallest is my office server with 30 users and about 3k messages a day. I dont mind testing features or running benchmarks so if you have any questions let me know. All servers are hosted by centurylink running Zcs 8.7.11 on centos 6.9 with 2 cpu and 4GB ram and from 300gb to 1TB hdd space.
That sounds impressive, have you noticed a drop in CPU usage and have you made many (or any) modifications to rspamd?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

I have not made any modifications to rspamd and so far it has worked amazingly well!

The 2 servers that are installed are the smaller ones in the group I manage so I haven't seen a big dip in CPU. The next 2 servers I am going to setup are the monsters so I'll make sure my Nagios captures CPU so I can get a good before and after snapshot. They are all hosted virtual machines so any savings on CPU power directly affects our bottom line.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

sangamc wrote:I have not made any modifications to rspamd and so far it has worked amazingly well!
That's great to hear. Did you have postscreen configured and did you revert to the standard config settings and did you remove all your RBLs from Zimbra?
sangamc wrote:The 2 servers that are installed are the smaller ones in the group I manage so I haven't seen a big dip in CPU. The next 2 servers I am going to setup are the monsters so I'll make sure my Nagios captures CPU so I can get a good before and after snapshot. They are all hosted virtual machines so any savings on CPU power directly affects our bottom line.
Cash savings are always a bonus. It will be interesting to hear what happens with those two servers, when you have a spare moment - good luck. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
iceruam
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Rspamd: A replacement for Spamassassin

Post by iceruam »

I for one still use zimbra internally, but all of our mail come in forwarded from gmail first...zimbra spam filtering has been so terrible I needed to find an alternative
JDunphy wrote:
phoenix wrote: I often wonder how many zimbra sites go 3rd party for spam filtering given the time consuming nature involved with this or outsource to gmail, etc in frustration......

Maybe rspamd is that start. I think we are at a crossroads myself with spam,security,html 5+, etc and hope the SA and Zimbra communities can rise with it. I view spam more from the security side these days vs a nuisance issue given how many threats exist against browsers/companies/users. As I mention in that other post viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62447#p277751, It was harder than it should be and we are concerned. For me, I am going to try this on a test server because I need a hedge and develop some rspamd operational experience with their html parser should things not get better with the current solution. Bill your timing is pretty good because I had been looking the past few weeks but nothing was a comprehensive as what this appears to be.