Cal items not syncing to Apple Calendar

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
howanitz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Cal items not syncing to Apple Calendar

Post by howanitz »

I had a user complain about Calendar items on a shared Calendar not syncing to his Apple devices. (iPhone, iPad, and Calendar.app in MacOS Sierra). Running:

Release 8.7.11.GA.1854.UBUNTU14.64 UBUNTU14_64 NETWORK edition.

I tested in Calendar.app on Sierra, and the previous OS X release, found the same issue.

I backed up all calendar items, then deleted everything over a year old from Outlook. (Archive feature.) No change.

Then I exported the new items in Zimbra web interface (e.g. an .ics file) and then deleted all items using Outlook. (again, the archive feature.) Then I exported the ics file from Zimbra again under a different file name, to verify the calendar was empty (using a text editor.) It was empty, so then I imported the .ics backup file to restore the calendar entries, and tested again. Everything is working properly now.

Questions:
1. Anyway to archive old items from Zimbra web interface?

2. Any iCal validators anyone had luck with? I tried this one, but did not really help. Lots of warnings and errors on both working & not working exports.
https://icalendar.org/validator.html

Finally, I would like to request a good validator and cleaner utility for iCal as part of Zimbra (also Contacts data store would be really nice also. Even if it just told you what the offending entry was, and allowed you to delete it, that would be a huge improvement.)
howanitz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Cal items not syncing to Apple Calendar

Post by howanitz »

I am having problems again with some users on MacOS High Sierra. The calendar is not sycing to iCal on their mac, or only partially syncing. This has happened with primary calendars, and with shared calendars. Outlook and the web interface is fine.

If I:
1) backup the calendar from the web interface
2) delete all items
3) restore the backup from the web interface

then iCal on the mac starts working again.

Is nobody else having trouble with Macs???

Zimbra 8.7.11_GA_1854
Network edition
On Ubuntu 14LTS
howanitz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Cal items not syncing to Apple Calendar

Post by howanitz »

I was able to clean up individual calendars, but when sharing more than 2 or 3 functioning calendars, it would cause Calendar.app on macOS to fail. Tested with both Sierra and High Sierra.

Have switched users to BusyCal on macOS, and so far no issues.

https://www.busymac.com/busycal/