ZCS 8.8 IMAPD service

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

ZCS 8.8 IMAPD service

Post by phoenix »

Yes, I know it's beta but in the Release Notes (wiki page).....

1. There's no indication whether this should be installed, or not, from the repo

2. There no indication of how you manage this service nor under what circumstances it should be used

3. There no information about how to remove it if it's actually installed (in error) on a single server

4. I think that including beta feature in a GA release is a good idea but it should have a bit more information about what to do with the service so we can actually test it.

The only information that seems relevant to the feature is in the Beta forum and (from there) in the Admin Guide documentation: https://zimbra.github.io/adminguide/wor ... apd_server
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Re: ZCS 8.8 IMAPD service

Post by ccelis5215 »

phoenix wrote:Yes, I know it's beta but in the Release Notes (wiki page).....

1. There's no indication whether this should be installed, or not, from the repo

2. There no indication of how you manage this service nor under what circumstances it should be used

3. There no information about how to remove it if it's actually installed (in error) on a single server

4. I think that including beta feature in a GA release is a good idea but it should have a bit more information about what to do with the service so we can actually test it.

The only information that seems relevant to the feature is in the Beta forum and (from there) in the Admin Guide documentation: https://zimbra.github.io/adminguide/wor ... apd_server
+1

ccelis
ajcody
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ajcody »

+1 - following.
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi guys,
As per https://zimbra.github.io/adminguide/wor ... apd_server Zimbra IMAPD is an optionally IMAPD server, which is meant to be installed for Service Providers or Customers with big environments where users consume their Mailbox using IMAP.

As per a quick list:
  • If you don't install Zimbra IMAPD, then you will use the actual internal IMAP daemon as usual.
  • If you do miss click and say Y, but you don't configure all the IMAPD upstream, etc as per the guide. Then you will still be using the internal IMAP daemon as usual.
  • Finally, if you select Y, and configure the IMAPD as instructed on the documentation, you will leverage all the features and capabilities of this new distributed IMAP technology.
I hope it's clear enough, I will ask our lead Engineer around IMAP to keep an eye on this topic.

PS: Don't put this on Production, yet.

Thank you!
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

Jorge is correct. If you just install the package but don't make a particular effort to configure it, it will be ignored.
Like any beta software, I'd recommend it is enabled only in evaluation environments and not in production. We are aware of some issues with it but would welcome any more that you can find so that they get resolved before we certify it for general release.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Thank you both for your replies and I don't put software into production that has no details about what it does. ;) My main concern was that there is no information in the Release Notes on the state of this feature other than 'beta', I expect a beta release to be mostly usable - with the proviso that it may eat your data and crash your servers. I'm also a bit bothered by the lack of details in the notes, you may end up with users that install on a live server and end up with problems, that does no good for your testing. When things have settled down I will probably give this a run on a test server, just for fun.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
eval

Post by eval »

> 3. There no information about how to remove it if it's actually installed (in error) on a single server

Even after reading the 'docs' It's still not clear how to cleanly/safely remove it.

> If you do miss click and say Y, but you don't configure all the IMAPD upstream, etc as per the guide. Then you will still be using the internal IMAP daemon as usual.

"configure all the IMAPD upstream, etc"

That's still fuzzy.

Afaict, this actively DISABLES it,

Code: Select all

zmprov ms `zmhostname` zimbraRemoteImapServerEnabled FALSE
so

Code: Select all

zmprov gs `zmhostname` zimbraImapServerEnabled
	zimbraImapServerEnabled: TRUE
zmprov gs `zmhostname` zimbraRemoteImapServerEnabled
	zimbraRemoteImapServerEnabled: FALSE
It still seems that zmconfig acts differently, still expecting something from 'imapd' after the 885 install:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63316

I don't know if that's because of installed-but-disabled-remote-imapd, or something else.