exchange cal in zimbra or vice versa

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
zanthius

exchange cal in zimbra or vice versa

Post by zanthius »

Hi all,

We have our users split 80% on open source zimbra and 20% still on exchange 2007. Usually the work groups are confined between the two, but I've just had to setup a meeting calendar that a group on exchange and a group on zimbra have to be able to see / book meetings.

Not had very much luck searching, can anyone suggest a way to either have a exchange calendar that zimbra can see and add bookings to, or a zimbra calendar that outlook/exchange users can see / book meetings in?

thorx
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: exchange cal in zimbra or vice versa

Post by thorx »

Yes we have done something similar. but it's a terrible setup. atleast how we did it. not sure how you did it. but we had exchange forward emails to for those users that are on the zimbra-server. so exchange and zimbra need to know exactly the same thing.
In our setup we runned both exchange and zimbra on the same emaildomain.

When working togheter on the calender it works but there are some limitations and hickups. not sure if it will be the same for you.
you need first to configure freebusy in zimbra. so it connects to your exchange.

one hickup we had was if one user was migrated to the other server . we had to clear the freebusy info for that user on exchange.
https://yourexchangeserver/public/NON_IPM_SUBTREE/
find user and delete. freebusyinfo we regenerate when needed.

other than that the freebusy works ok. the limitation is offcource that it only syncs info about something is free or busy. and that got quickly a problem. as normal users don't understand that limitation. and they do want to see atleast the subject of the meeting that your busy in.

there may be some other ways for your setup to get it working better than a freebusy setup. perhaps exchange 2007 have some more options than what I tested.
thorx
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by thorx »

you could add a zimbra calender in your outlook exchange setup by sharing a zimbra calender. you you try to share in zimbra. you see some urls you could mount in outlook.
not sure the other way around. but one limitation there would probably that it would refresh on interval in outlook.
zanthius

Post by zanthius »

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll have a look at the free/busy in a bit, just having issues adding the calendar into outlook.

I generate the outlook link from zimbra calendar share: webcals://bendczimv01.domain.local:443/home/servicedesk@domain.com.au/Calendar
but when I go to add that into outlook I get the following error:
cannot verify or add the calendar to outlook. Make sure the following link is valid calendar link: (then the link above)

I enabled debug logging in outlook, but it doesn't tell me much, just 2 lines with no errors.

Any ideas?
Rony
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 9.0.0_GA_4174

Post by Rony »

Hi zanthius,
I managed to share the OSE Zimbra cal in Thunderbird email and iOS but doesn't work with Outlook.
Having the same error and I didn't find any help about that.
Thank you