Rejected email not bouncing.

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
nvkrishna77

Rejected email not bouncing.

Post by nvkrishna77 »

I manage a Zimbra 8.6 server. When an email is sent from a non-zimbra account (e.g., gmail) to a non-existent zimbra account: the sender does not receive a "bounce" email. In the log, it does show that the email is rejected. But no bounce email is received. Can someone help, on how to set it up?

Here are some relevant entries from maillog:

NOQUEUE: filter: RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x]: <sender-email-address>: Sender address triggers FILTER smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10026; from=<sender-email-address> to=<non-existent-email-address> proto=ESMTP helo=<y.y.y.y>
Oct 26 19:29:27 x postfix/smtpd[20367]: NOQUEUE: filter: RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x]: <sender-email-address>: Sender address triggers FILTER smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024; from=<sender-email-address> to=<non-existent-email-address> proto=ESMTP helo=<y.y.y.y>
Oct 26 19:29:27 x postfix/smtpd[20367]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x]: 550 5.1.1 <non-existent-email-address>: Recipient address rejected: host-name; from=<sender-mail-address> to=<non-existent-email-address> proto=ESMTP helo=<y.y.y.y>
Oct 26 19:29:27 x postfix/smtpd[20367]: NOQUEUE: filter: RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x]: <>: Sender address triggers FILTER smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10026; from=<> to=<sender-email-address> proto=ESMTP helo=<y.y.y.y>
Oct 26 19:29:27 x postfix/smtpd[20367]: NOQUEUE: filter: RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x]: <>: Sender address triggers FILTER smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024; from=<> to=<sender-email-address> proto=ESMTP helo=<y.y.y.y>
Oct 26 19:29:27 x postfix/smtpd[20367]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x]: 554 5.7.1 <sender-email-address>: Relay access denied; from=<> to=<sender-email-address> proto=ESMTP helo=<y.y.y.y>

--

It shows that the bounce mail is not being queued. How do I enabled it?

Warm regards,
Krishna.
nvkrishna77

Re: Rejected email not bouncing.

Post by nvkrishna77 »

Hi.

This is quite urgent. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,
Krishna.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

nvkrishna77 wrote:This is quite urgent. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
The answer to your question is quite simple, the mail is being rejected not 'bounced' because it was sent to an unknown recipient. You can find the details in the Zimbra wiki or the Postfix documentation (or even an internet search) here: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html# ... _recipient
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
nvkrishna77

Post by nvkrishna77 »

Thank you @phoenix.

I set postconf -e smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient=no

After that when I send mails from a mail id from my server (to a non-existent email id on the same server) I get a bounce. But when I send a mail from a different domain (say gmail.com), I do not get a bounce. But it is rejected with a log similar to the one shown above. Note that there are two reject messages there: 1) when the email was received for a non-existent user, 2) when the bounced email is sent using an empty email id. Both of these are rejected by the mailer.

I am trying to see how I can send a bounce mail in this case as well. Any help would be really helpful.
mohanjoy

Post by mohanjoy »

I have the same issue but the mail status is sent but not received.