Spam Filters Hate Me

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
wadams7029

Spam Filters Hate Me

Post by wadams7029 »

Hello,

We recently migrated to Zimbra from a cPanel based email "system"-- All is well except for one thing: Post-migration, spam filters hate us. Gmail throws the messages straight in to the spam folder, Godaddy comesback with "Refused to talk with me, please submit an unblock request" We have never had these issues before and I am wondering what could have been misconfigured to make this happen. Any thoughts?
lomailer

Re: Spam Filters Hate Me

Post by lomailer »

Godaddy comesback with "Refused to talk with me, please submit an unblock request" \
Looks like your public IP is on RBL
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

Have you got a brand new outgoing ip address(es), or do you use the same previous?
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

Yes that is an artifact of administrators relying on blacklists and modern conventions in addition to email itself given how sophisticated the senders have become. Many mail administrators do tolerate false positives - each of the big players has hoops you must jump through. For example, microsoft wants you to register your address space. Google wants DMARC, etc, etc. Sometimes it just easier to use a transport map and force your traffic to your ISP or hosting provider and let them solve it for you. Use one of the lookup sites to see how many blacklists your ip address is listed on and try to get off is the first step if this is new ip space... but probably you are running into not doing all the possible steps you can do first... spf, dkim, dmarc, registration of ip space, etc, etc.

Bottom line is its a complex system these days for senders and having trusted ip space is not going to solve it completely. DKIM/DMARC/etc will help with google and the junk folder. I don't remember which but I wouldn't run a zimbra server without digital signing the email given todays email climate.

HTH
wadams7029

Post by wadams7029 »

JDunphy wrote:Yes that is an artifact of administrators relying on blacklists and modern conventions in addition to email itself given how sophisticated the senders have become. Many mail administrators do tolerate false positives - each of the big players has hoops you must jump through. For example, microsoft wants you to register your address space. Google wants DMARC, etc, etc. Sometimes it just easier to use a transport map and force your traffic to your ISP or hosting provider and let them solve it for you. Use one of the lookup sites to see how many blacklists your ip address is listed on and try to get off is the first step if this is new ip space... but probably you are running into not doing all the possible steps you can do first... spf, dkim, dmarc, registration of ip space, etc, etc.

Bottom line is its a complex system these days for senders and having trusted ip space is not going to solve it completely. DKIM/DMARC/etc will help with google and the junk folder. I don't remember which but I wouldn't run a zimbra server without digital signing the email given todays email climate.

HTH
Noob Alert here-- I am an experienced Linux SysAdmin, but mostly in the Asterisk PBX realm. I am new to email. That said, could you elaborate on the digital signing part? Additionally, I have a huge IP block-- Should I just try to work with some different IPs and see what life brings me?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

A good place too start would be DKIM then have a read of the 'best practices' wiki page for SPF & DMARC here:

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Configurin ... IM_Signing
https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Best_Pract ... _and_DMARC

You really should check to see if you're on any blacklists and get your self removed, if your mail to google is ending up in the Junk folder then take a look at the headers (show original option) and see what's causing the problem - sending mail to google and yahoo is quite a useful diagnostic tool.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra