Backup Error

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15

Backup Error

Post by patrickwilson82 »

Hi there,

When trying to run a backup it fails and I get the following error "Message: Error! Cannot write to target path /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup! Error code: CSFE_SVC_ERROR Method: ZaBackupXWizard.prototype.createPath". I tried clearing space on the Backup Server, but this did not seem to help. Any suggestions?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Backup Error

Post by phoenix »

Always give details of the installed ZCS installed version by posting the full output of the following:

Code: Select all

zmcontrol -v
The error would seem to be this: "Error! Cannot write to target path /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup", can you actually write to that location (from the ZCS server0, what sort of device is this (RAID, local HD etc..)?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member

zimbra@ZM01:~$ zmcontrol -v
Release 8.7.11.GA.1854.UBUNTU16.64 UBUNTU16_64 NETWORK edition.

When I try running zmbackup -f, it tells me that /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup is not writable. This is a network file share on a Windows server. My /etc/fstab entry for it looks like this.

//bu01/ZCS_Backup /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup cifs credntials=/home/administrator/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

I have the log in credentials for the Windows server stored in the file .smbcredentials.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

patrickwilson82 wrote:zimbra@ZM01:~$ zmcontrol -v
Release 8.7.11.GA.1854.UBUNTU16.64 UBUNTU16_64 NETWORK edition.

When I try running zmbackup -f, it tells me that /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup is not writable. This is a network file share on a Windows server. My /etc/fstab entry for it looks like this.

//bu01/ZCS_Backup /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup cifs credntials=/home/administrator/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

I have the log in credentials for the Windows server stored in the file .smbcredentials.
As the zimbra user try running:

Code: Select all

touch /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup/TESTFILE
mkdir /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup/TESTDIR
If either/both fail you have a permissions issue. Typically, the fail notice will give you insight into correcting the issue.

BTW, cifs is not supported as a backup mount point; only block devices and NFS.

Hope that helps,
Mark
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member

As far as the mounting issue goes, it looks as if I have to mount this manually and can't use the /etc/fstab because it causes a kernel panic. So I now have the directory mounted, but when I run zmbackup -f from the command line I get "Error occurred: invalid request: Missing account list"

When I go into the admin console, go to start the backup, go to the select accounts tab and click "Backup All Accounts" and click Backup I get

"Message: system failure: Unable to create directory /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup/tmp/full-20180320.212948.761/sys Error code: service.FAILURE Method: [unknown] Details:soap:Receiver" Any ideas?
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

patrickwilson82 wrote:As far as the mounting issue goes, it looks as if I have to mount this manually and can't use the /etc/fstab because it causes a kernel panic. So I now have the directory mounted, but when I run zmbackup -f from the command line I get "Error occurred: invalid request: Missing account list"

When I go into the admin console, go to start the backup, go to the select accounts tab and click "Backup All Accounts" and click Backup I get

"Message: system failure: Unable to create directory /mnt/nfs/ZCS_Backup/tmp/full-20180320.212948.761/sys Error code: service.FAILURE Method: [unknown] Details:soap:Receiver" Any ideas?
Still sounds like a permissions error. Did you run the two commands I suggested? If you did, what were the results?

Sounds also like you need to fix /etc/fstab, but again, cifs is not supported -- only block storage or nfs.

Hope that helps,
Mark
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member

L. Mark Stone wrote:
patrickwilson82 wrote:As far as the mounting issue goes, it looks as if I have to mount this manually and can't use the /etc/fstab because it causes a kernel panic. So I now have the directory mounted, but when I run zmbackup -f from the command line I get "Error occurred: invalid request: Missing account list"

Still sounds like a permissions error. Did you run the two commands I suggested? If you did, what were the results?

Sounds also like you need to fix /etc/fstab, but again, cifs is not supported -- only block storage or nfs.

Hope that helps,
Mark
It definitely was a permissions error. The testfile I was making did go through to the backup server, but during the backup process it was putting the backup into a temp folder until the process was completed. For whatever reason, on the Windows server, the temp folder wasn't set to inherit permissions from the ZCS_Backup folder. Thanks again for the help Mark!