Auto-complete by e-mail address in To: field of webmail

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
jd603

Auto-complete by e-mail address in To: field of webmail

Post by jd603 »

Currently only typing the persons name brings up an address, this is not ideal. People should be able to auto complete by domain name so it's easy to pull up a list of contacts from one company/domain. How can I fix this? I didn't see an obvious setting for this...

Thanks!
jd603

Re: Auto-complete by e-mail address in To: field of webmail

Post by jd603 »

Would this end up being a feature request? Does anyone know if the desktop client autocompletes by email address?
jd603

Post by jd603 »

Bummer.. this is probably the single most annoying UI problem i've found so far.
racerock

Post by racerock »

I just checked this and I kind of see what you mean
I understand its not possible to put the domain name and it gives the names, it just gives names based on a forwards typing basis ( I suspect Outlook does this assuming outlook Is your comparison here)

But this is more a search option if you ask me as is best served by pressing the To: button put domain or part of it press search et viola.

having said that you may need to adjust the individuals settings in Contacts options against where it does its initial search .
jd603

Post by jd603 »

I don't see any place to do this...?

Clicking the To: field is an additional step that shouldn't be necessary.
racerock

Post by racerock »

Just to make it clear:
1) I confirm you can not get the list of email addresses by simply starting to type the domain part of the name and expect the auto-complete to give the names based on giving just the domain part.

2)With my end users My *workaround* when you had to try and find a list of people based on the domain part ( that you either have in contacts or have mailed before) was to do the following:
start to type at-least the first 3 letters of the domain part in the To: field,
Press the To: button. This will then pull up search in Select addresses.

3)I noted for this to work as I desired in my set up two things need to be on So in: preferences > Contact > Options:
Tick removed from option; "initially search the Global Address List when using the contact picker"
Tick present in box: Add New Contacts to "Emailed Contacts"
** You can also check Configure ,Class of service, default, preferences, Contact Options "enable automatic adding of contacts"

This way the feature worked as I wanted ... Any names the end users have stored in their Contacts is pulled up, and any email address they have typed on a new email without adding as a contact, or replied to etc is saved in the "Emailed Contacts" and a s a result is also pulled up

If however you need this function to get the users for your Zimbra internal domain you may need to tweak this a little, Here you can for the internal domain users drop down the "Show names from and select Global address list" to pull down the Gal
jd603

Post by jd603 »

Clicking To: after typing part of the domain does seem to work, but I'm sure it will take end users a long time to figure this out and will annoy them. So ideally we should be able to auto complete by typing the email addresses domain name and not having to click anything. If anyone knows how to accomplish this let me know.