Cannot send emails (zimbra on Azure VM) [SOLVED]

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
diznpc

Re: Cannot send emails

Post by diznpc »

phoenix wrote:It is a spelling error. I've pointed people to that article for years and you're the first one to point out that error, thanks for that and I've corrected it. :)

BTW, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with using the mail relay service. If you have the time when you' got it running and a spare moment could you post an update in this thread? If if your issue is resolved could you also mark this thread as ["Solved]" (unfortunately you'll have to edit your first post to modify the title)?
Glad I helped! Yeah so, I created an account on SendGrid via Microsoft Azure and followed the article here https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Outgoing_S ... entication. I put "smtp.sendgrid.net" as the mailrelay.example.com, my SendGrid username & password where needed and my zmhostname as the <server>. Pretty easy configuration. A mistake I made was that I put the sendgrid server and port on the External domain MTA setting in General Settings (Zimbra Admin url) and so I couldn't send any emails despite my above configuration. But when I deleted that, it all worked.

One question though, how could I set up zimbra to work (and send emails) without having to set up an external smtp relay? I know that Azure blocks smtp connections that use port 25, but doesn't zimbra "work" as an authenticated smtp server? (Can't exactly describe that well, but I hope you get my point)

And as always, thank you very much for you help. :D
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Cannot send emails (zimbra on Azure VM) [SOLVED]

Post by phoenix »

The onkly way to have ZCS send mail directly is use an ISP (or Hosting provider) that does not block Port 25 outbound. My ISP (nor any that I've previously used) block outbound ports and also provide the ability to change my own reverse dns for my IP (although that currently has a problem), that's also important for a mail server but if you have other 'authentication' in place such as DKIM, DMARC & SPF then being on a 'domestic' IP address is less of a problem. My IP is also on a domestic IP and, as I've mentioned, my reverse DNS is not currently set correctly but the DMARC, DKIM & SPF alleviate those problems.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
yayofreedom

Re: Cannot send emails

Post by yayofreedom »

phoenix wrote:It is a spelling error. I've pointed people to that article for years and you're the first one to point out that error, thanks for that and I've corrected it. :)

BTW, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with using the mail relay service. If you have the time when you' got it running and a spare moment could you post an update in this thread? If if your issue is resolved could you also mark this thread as ["Solved]" (unfortunately you'll have to edit your first post to modify the title)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi phoenix, I recently installed and configured Zimbra in Microsoft Azure and found myself with the same problem, when making an attempt to connect to port 25 I have no communication, I will make the changes based on the link you have shared, I write to you when I have news.
yayofreedom