8.0 Roadmap

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
n.sossonko
Advanced member
Advanced member

8.0 Roadmap

Post by n.sossonko »

20 days later and still nothing. When is this new PM portal supposedly going to be rolled out? I know 7.5 is still in the works, but no information is available on the portal. Would really appreciate some direction here.
k3rmit

8.0 Roadmap

Post by k3rmit »

Zimbra is DEAD.
I've been a long supporter and integrator of this software, but all facts point this ship to the way of the dinosaurs...
It's a real shame, it is still the best around when it comes to free alternatives to Exchange... it's just stuck at 2010.
I suppose VMWare doesn't see any added value in further improvement, and i can share that all the worldwide installations in my company are being phased out for Exchange.
That happens when you have no roadmap and a very bad sales team...
dik23
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

8.0 Roadmap

Post by dik23 »

[quote user="k3rmit"]Zimbra is DEAD.[/QUOTE]
Don't think that's even close to the truth but the lack of any clue about features/release date of Zim8 is giving us a headache.
It's very difficult to plan ahead when you've no idea what will be available. We've got some large decisions that have to be made and this is making life very difficult.
All we have to work with is rumours in the forums and hints such as this. While this shows Zimbra is definitely NOT dead it's not something we can work with.
dagar
Advanced member
Advanced member

8.0 Roadmap

Post by dagar »

Hopefully Zimbra management will wake up and do a lot better PR.
n.sossonko
Advanced member
Advanced member

8.0 Roadmap

Post by n.sossonko »

I don't like Exchange (or most other Microsoft products), and I do like Zimbra. I just don't understand why we can't get some information on releases, cycles, upcoming fixes and features, etc. I'm still not sure if this is a strategic decision Zimbra has made or just a slow-moving project to collect and properly disseminate this information.
If Zimbra is indeed being phased out or killed off, I would definitely want to know that.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

8.0 Roadmap

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="n.sossonko"]If Zimbra is indeed being phased out or killed off, I would definitely want to know that.[/QUOTE]It's not being phased out and I don't know where that idea comes from. The lack of update on the product portal indicates nothing more sinister than the pressure of the current workload and the rescheduling of priorities for upcoming releases.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
n.sossonko
Advanced member
Advanced member

8.0 Roadmap

Post by n.sossonko »

Again, I don't necessarily believe that, but the workload excuse worked a month ago, why has there been NO update at all since? I never complained about the old product portal, why fix what ain't broke? If you want to upgrade something, do it on your own time, don't remove the old and then leave us in limbo.
Just saying, it's a bit frustrating. It just so happens to be that I'm trying to make some key business decisions and need to understand Zimbra's intended roadmap.
timothyalangorman
Advanced member
Advanced member

8.0 Roadmap

Post by timothyalangorman »

As a NE customer with 2 accounts I'd like a bit more transparency.

I need s/mime or pgp but the linke to the 7.2 blog hs nothing but 5.x retirement / unsupported path options.

Marketing is key. Throw us a bone that has a small chunk of meat at least.

I've been "told to find a pgp or s/mime solution".

I hope I can provide it with Zimbra.
stegbth
Advanced member
Advanced member

8.0 Roadmap

Post by stegbth »

Hi phoenix,
i am also a little bit unsettled about the future of zimbra. In tha past there was all 4-8 month a version update. Some fixes and also some new features.
after the release of 7.1.4 the productportal removed 7.1.5 and no new information about the release-plans are coming out. questions from other forummembers was "off-pressed" with: there is much work there is much pressure about the new version, but we see nothing what is going on behind. Sometime there information: look the bugtracker, but i dont see there what is done and what is unfinished for the next release.
in the past there was transparency and we was able to see, what bugs are in the current version. Sometimes i thought so much bugs, are we able to run the zimbra service, but there was mostly no problem. I was happy with the transparency.
Hopefully vmware is not basnish everybody with "new feature".

like an forced activation and not working registration servers (i had already in the past with great feature) or any other attitudes like a candyman, like they did with vmware vsphere, first giving it for free with some limitations. afterwards they lowered the limitations so licensed versions was needed.
best regards from on other unsettled admin

thomas
Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.6.0_P6
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

8.0 Roadmap

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

Like everyone else I would like to see the Portal back working.
However, using the Search capability on the Bugzilla page the progress towards what presumably will be the next release is quite clear to see.
As of today - for what is labelled 7.2.0_ZCS_Helix (scroll down and select this release in the Version Found list)
In a state RESOLVED / VERIFIED or CLOSED (multi-select these in the Status list) there are 205 bugs listed.
http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/buglist.cgi? ... alue0-0-0=
and in the remaining states (UNCONFIRMED / NEW / REOPENED / ASSIGNED) there are a further 84 bugs still being worked
http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/buglist.cgi? ... alue0-0-0=
and if you add "Target Milestone" "contains the string" "Helix" at the very bottom to this search it suggests that just 26 of those 84 are targeted for 7.2
http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/buglist.cgi? ... -0-0=Helix
EDIT: Checked this last link again on April 7th - and the list for 7.2 is down to 12 - hopefully we will have a new release soon.