Cannot move emails using IMAP

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
bb101

Cannot move emails using IMAP

Post by bb101 »

We have been running Zimbra Network Edition with minimal issues since v7 and have progressively upgraded to the current version 8.8.8. Our mailbox users have recently noticed that emails moved using IMAP do not reflect properly in Zimbra Webmail and ActiveSync. Zimbra receives the request and updates the IMAP client (Apple Mail in our case) so the email appears to have been moved within the client, but it just remains in the original folder on both Webmail and mobile devices. Moving an email to another folder using Webmail or ActiveSync works perfectly however, and updates the IMAP, webmail and ActiveSync clients immediately as expected.

I have raised the issue with Zimbra support and they are currently looking into it. Worryingly, their engineer is starting to poke fault at the IMAP protocol itself and is saying it might not be fixed:
"I have done the tests and what I have found out that it is an issue with IMAP protocol. In imap it downloads only the headers, so moving a header is not equivalent to moving a message. Hence when you move a folder in imap it does not sends any request to ZCS server for the move soap request."
Also please understand this is not a issue with zimbra, it is how imap protocol works. We are not having any control over the functionality of imap we are just using the imap protocol as defined.
I doubt this can be fixed as it is dependent on an product which we are not in control of. I will still open an internal escalation on your behalf and wait for managements decision.
As Zimbra has worked fine with IMAP up until the recent version, I imagine this is a recent bug introduced into 8.8.x. If Zimbra cannot (or chooses not to) support IMAP properly then I am not sure what future it has a mail server?

Is anyone else also experiencing this issue?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Cannot move emails using IMAP

Post by phoenix »

Does this also happen using a 'fat' IMAP client such as Thunderbird? Anything in the log files that indicate any problems?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
bb101

Post by bb101 »

Hi Bill,

I just tried moving a message within Thunderbird, and it moved the email successfully for all IMAP, ActiveSync and Webmail clients.

Doing the same thing using Apple Mail, the email is copied to the new folder but not deleted from the Inbox (so it ends up existing in two folders at once).

We never had this problem prior to a recent version of Zimbra -- I wonder if they have changed their IMAP routines?
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

I am also having this issue with all accounts... 120 I think it only started happening after patching the system...

its a deal breaker...

Release 8.8.9_GA_2055.RHEL7_64_20180703080917 RHEL7_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.8.9_P10.