Zimbra 8.8 - Traditional NE Backup vs. BackupNG & /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P19

Zimbra 8.8 - Traditional NE Backup vs. BackupNG & /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive

Post by DavidMerrill »

Quoting Mark Stone in viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64055&p=283322&hil ... er#p283322:
Both exist in the 8.8.8 product, but when you elect to install the NG component when running the Zimbra installer, no crontab entires for the Traditional NE Backup are set, so it never runs. This also causes an issue IMHO if you run just the BackupNG backups in that /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive never gets emptied. Run an imapsync to migrate 500GB of email from a new customer and you'll find the redolog archive folder has 500GB of redo logs in there. I feel this is a configuration error, so I opened a Support Case as an RFE for it. In the interim, you can run "zmprov mcf zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover TRUE" and restart the mailbox service, and then delete the existing archived redo logs as BackupNG does not use the archived redo logs at all I am told.
I got caught out on this one while doing an incremental migration, the disk where /opt/zimbra lives was filling faster than I expected. My bad, https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_NG_ ... rk_Edition gives clear directions about what to do before kicking off an import.

The fix was easy (as Mark describes above), re-ran the data import and all was well.

Question: If I'm sticking with Zimbra NG Backup, do I want to keep zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover set to TRUE indefinitely?

Question: From what I can tell the /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive ONLY gets emptied when a traditional backup job completes, is that true?
ALP
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.8 Patch 4 Network Edition

Re: Zimbra 8.8 - Traditional NE Backup vs. BackupNG & /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive

Post by ALP »

Hello David, the Redolog files are purged every night when executing the incremental backup. If you are only going to use the NG backup, you should keep the "zmprov mcf zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover TRUE" parameter, otherwise you will have to delete the files by hand or create a task that deletes them.

With respect to migration, it has worked for me to disable RedoLog during the migration process and once it has finished re-enabling it. In this way also now resources during the process.

"zmprov mcf zimbraRedoLogEnabled FALSE"

regards
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Zimbra 8.8 - Traditional NE Backup vs. BackupNG & /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive

Post by gabrieles »

DavidMerrill wrote:Question: If I'm sticking with Zimbra NG Backup, do I want to keep zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover set to TRUE indefinitely?
Yes, I've added this to my install checklist and set it on every new installation.
DavidMerrill wrote:Question: From what I can tell the /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive ONLY gets emptied when a traditional backup job completes, is that true?
AFAIK, yes. On the first upgraded/installed 8.8 customers i found something like 30/50 GB of redolog archived. Never deleted by any other process.
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P19

Post by DavidMerrill »

I appreciate the feedback, Thank you!
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,

Did you createthe RFE for this? If you did or know it, could you link it please?

Even when installing a fresh zimbra with ng modules active and configuring the "default backup schedule" during zmsetup.pl dialogs to "no", the redologs are still enabled which makes not much sense unless redologs are used by zextras backup. This statement in official documentation makes it even more confusing "..."zimbraRedoLogEnabled" property (see below) to "false". Don't forget to enable this feature after the restore is completed".

Again, proper documentation is not in place. This document here https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_NG_ ... rk_Edition is not clear and as many others, is open to interpretation and has more "warning" than clear instructions.

As for now, I will assure that before AND after the migration from a foss edition to a NE with the NG modules activated. I will have these attributes set like this in the new enviroment:
zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover=FALSE
zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover=FALSE

I'll try to see if this is the intended way for it to work. Hopefully, some clear and non-ambiguous documentation will be released (or at least I will be able to find it, because I wasn't).