Old topic but, Zimbra never learns

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Old topic but, Zimbra never learns

Post by zim_mike »

I've read countless articles and tried suggested solutions, many of which have worked but there is one thing I still cannot figure out.
My settings are mainly to tag and not kill because I'm nervous about completely removing emails until I know for sure the server is tuned right.

I figured that the more I teach the server by flagging spam, the less that spam will show up, even in the Spam box. That doesn't seem to be the case. The most obvious is how the daily reports come into my admin mailbox and go into the Spam folder, even though I flag those as not being spam, day after day for months now.

This to me seems indicative of something missing in my setup, something I've overlooked, don't know about or have not found when searching the Internet so am asking for help here. What ever information you need, please let me know and I'll provide it.

Thank you.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Old topic but, Zimbra never learns

Post by phoenix »

You should always start a post with the full output of the following command:

Code: Select all

zmcontrol -v
Next, tell us what you've actually tried and which settings have been modified and include the settings for the Tag/Kill percentages. You could always take a look at Rspamd (as mentioned in my signature) as an anti-spam replacement for ZCS.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

It's common that the Daily Mail Reports sent to the Administrator will be flagged as spam if Zimbra is your only anti-spam solution, because the content of the daily mail report contains some info that triggers the spam filters.

You can log in to the Administrator's mailbox directly, then go to Preferences > Mail > Spam Mail Options and whitelist the address Zimbra uses to send the daily mail report.

The other alternative is to use a gateway antivirus solution, so the offending content never appears in the Daily Mail Reports in the first instance.

Hope that helps,
Mark
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

I must have accidentally deleted the whole section where I explained what I've done.

(Release 8.7.11_GA_1854.RHEL7_64_20170531151956 RHEL7_64 FOSS edition.)
Kill is set to 65 and tag is set to 3 at the moment and these settings ended up as they are by watching the email headers and testing.
I didn't want to kill too quickly because I wanted to see what is going to happen first.
I could probably get rid of a lot of the spam by using the kill but am nervous about losing email.

I've not done all that much other than setting the spam levels, using some RBL and two RHSBL sites. I found those often blocked legitimate email and slowly removed a couple of the RBL ones. That's about it other than setting allowed relays and the usual configuration stuff.

I used to have ASSP in front of Zimbra but it took a lot of extra work to stay on top of two solutions so wanted to count on Zimbra only, still want to.

Thanks for the tip Mark. I don't mind them going to spam box, just thought it might be indicative of other problems.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Have you consider using rspamd? I'd highly recommend you give it a tryy and see how it works for you, if you're not happy with it then it's trivial to return to the standard ZCS configuration. I'd also suggest you upgrade to the most recent ZCS 8.8.9 release.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

Thanks for the suggestion of using rspamd. I try not to mess with the server too much since this is not my full time job and don't want to mess anything up. I've also found myself installing things only to have folks tell me 'that's really old, don't use it'. I absolutely can upgrade to the newer version assuming it's fairly painless and settings won't get lost.

Might you have a URL on how to install rspamd which is current for the server I'm running now?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

There should be no problem upgrading from your current version to ZCS 8.8.9 with the obvious proviso of taking a backup first.

As for Rspamd, it's trivial to install and remove should you not find it effective (i'd be surprised if that happened) and there's a wiki article here: - there's also a sticky thread in the Administrators forum. When I first installed rspamd it was on the 8.7.11 release, that went without problems and there will be some necessary configuration of rspamd itself but it's not too onerous. Have a read of the wiki article and forum thread and see what you think.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

zim_mike wrote:Reading this right now :)
https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Rspamd
Bummer, I forgot to post the link!! :oops:
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

LOL, right from the very start, things don't work as explained.

In the instructions it says to install the rspamd redis packages then make sure that rspamd is running.

>Once you've tested and confirmed rspamd is running correctly you can activate redis as it's cache server is used as an efficient
>key-value storage by many Rspamd modules, further details on the Rspamd wiki.

I've searched and searched and there is no information to be found on how to 'start' this.

# service rspamd start
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start rspamd.service
Failed to start rspamd.service: Unit not found.

# systemctl start rspamd.service
Failed to start rspamd.service: Unit not found.

Already things are not clear.