outgoing mail vanishes ( since 8.8.9?)

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
glenndm
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.15.GA.3829.UBUNTU16.64

outgoing mail vanishes ( since 8.8.9?)

Post by glenndm »

Hello,

I manage a small zimbra NE server and this since many years

There are two domains, a primary and secondary one. External mails go out via the ISP smarthost. A split dns is active.
This configuration has run as such since for practically 8-9 years going through the different zimbra versions.

I am not really sure, but I think my current issue started with the recent upgrade from 8.8.6 over 8.8.8 to now 8.8.9
The issue:
1) outgoing mails to external addresses from the primary domain do no reach their destination - without any error raised
2) outgoing mails to external addresses from the secondary domain with the primary domain in CC do no reach their destination - without any error raised
3) outgoing mails to external addresses from the secondary domain do reach their destination correctly

zmmsgtrace reports the messages as sent.
The queues on the admin pages are empty
I tried using smtp dns bypassing the smart host, but the admin page won't accept this?

My knowledge of the zm commands is limited, i.e. what I pick up from the forums here.

The issue has also been raised with local Zimbra support.

Any suggestions especially on tracing are welcome, a solution even more so

best regards
glenn
glenndm
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.15.GA.3829.UBUNTU16.64

Re: outgoing mail vanishes ( since 8.8.9?)

Post by glenndm »

After an agonizing day I realized that my ISP has deactivated the smarthost method

I attempted to set up authenticated SMTP out as described in https://imanudin.net/2014/09/18/how-to- ... imbra-8-5/
The access worked but as none of the domains are hosted by the ISP all outgoin messages were rejected "not being an alias of the ISP account"

So now I have to undo the authenticated smtp settings
Is it sufficient to erase the smarthost setting zimbraMtaRelayHost ?

Could somebody me point to the instructions to send the mails out by connecting to their individual (direct) smtp ?

best regards
glenn