Account Alias, and "on Behalf of"

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU18.64 FOSS

Account Alias, and "on Behalf of"

Post by tonyg »

My brand-spankin-new Zimbra installation is now supporting four domains - thanks all! :) I'm still in test mode with domains that aren't too important, but this is a huge step, and I'm moving forward slowly as necessity requires and time permits.

I apologize, as I know this question has been asked before but a forum search has not turned up a solution.

I now have a domain with an account, and that account has one alias. This account is called "systems@" which doesn't ever need to be exposed to the world. The alias "notifications@" will be used in various websites and programs to send email via this domain on events of interest. I will create other alias names for systems@, to brand/personalize the From address for specific purposes.

I've created a personality with address notifications@ and provided a related From and Reply-To name.
Email sent from the Zimbra UI shows these headers:

Code: Select all

Return-Path: <systems@
Sender: <systems@
Reply-To: Notifications <notifications@
So the recipient sees "systems@.... on behalf of Notications <notifications@...>
The goal is to entirely mask the nature of the systems@ account. The purpose of this parent/container account is to provide a single signon to receive/send from all related aliases. It makes sense that the Sender is systems@, which is the actual account. But as others have noted I want other addresses to share this account for receiving responses, bounces, etc, if any are sent.

I would be happy to create delegates, forwarding accounts, resources, or whatever is required to accomplish the goal. With no experience with those features yet, I'm not sure which feature provides the best solution for this problem. Prior to Zimbra my experience has been (and I'm looking at headers right now) that an email to a recipient doesn't need to include the actual MTA account ID, the Return-Path can be the alias, and either the Sender header isn't even required or my recipient MUA (GMail) is stripping that header so recipients don't see it.

Thanks.
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Account Alias, and "on Behalf of"

Post by tonyg »

Sorry for a bump here.
In short, the challenge is to send email using an alias of an account without the recipient seeing:
"From: account​@foo.tld on behalf of AliasName <alias​@foo.tld>"
I want them to see: "From: AliasName <alias​@foo.tld>"
I do this all the time with another server, having a dozen aliases for a single account.

I'd be happy to follow a link to get an education, and humbly apologize, if this is specific to the components and not Zimbra. I'm just not sure how to approach this problem.

Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

It works fine on my system. When you talk about the 'Alias' do you mean you're using a persona under the user Preferences/Accounts setting?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by tonyg »

Sorry, I can't get these image links to display here with {IMG} tags, so I'm providing them as links.

This is where I'm defining the aliases

and maintaining the detail in the primary account preferences

Email received from the primary account as it appears to the recipient

Email received from the alias account as it appears to the recipient

As expected when sending from the primary account the received headers for From, Reply-To and Reploy-Path are all the primary account.
When from the alias, the received headers show the From and Reply-To as the alias, but the Return-Path is still the primary account. I believe it's this difference that causes the MUA to display the "on behalf of" notation.

I understand the Return-Path header reflects the envelope-from, or RFC5321 From address. In maillog I see the "from" field always being set to the primary account, never the alias. The From: header reflects the payload header-from, the RFC5322 From address.

The "from=" (Sender/Reply-To) header is always the primary account, even if I log into the Zimbra UI as the alias.

I've looked intensely for options for zmprov, postfix, etc. I see people asking how to reject mail that has a different From and Reply-To, but here I have Zimbra doing exactly that.

Thank for any leads.
thomas.maeder

Post by thomas.maeder »

Has this behavior ever been fixed?