Is anyone using an anti-spam gateway service?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

Is anyone using an anti-spam gateway service?

Post by davidkillingsworth »

I manage Zimbra servers for a few customers that typically in the SMB/SME range of 100 mailboxes or less.

I've tried fine tuning the anti-spam configurations as best I can for the past few years, but there is still quite a bit of spam that gets through. The things I'm worried about most are the phishing attempts that are increasingly looking more and more convincing.

I have tried to train users to be wary of emails from unknown senders that ask them to enter credentials and warn of mail accounts closing, etc.

In a previous company, we used Message Labs, which has long since been acquired by Symantec, but it's not really priced for SMB/SME range.

What do you use as anti-spam/anti-malware gateway services?

Thanks in advance.
David
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Re: Is anyone using an anti-spam gateway service?

Post by L. Mark Stone »

David,

I wrote most of the Zimbra Anti-Spam wiki back in 2014, but you are right that this is a job for a third-party service. In my previous company we used Barracuda virtual appliances, but even their per-mailbox cloud service is not very affordable for smaller companies, especially given the limited feature set.

Earlier this year I did a bakeoff over more than four months testing various offerings from Barracuda, Symantec, Proofpoint, Email Laundry, Cisco, Sophos and others. Also, after talking to my customers and others it became clear that even SMBs who were concerned about security wanted more than just anti-spam. They wanted email encryption and if they were in a regulated industry like healthcare, or if they had sensitive or personal data, they were concerned about compliance DLP. Long story short, I settled on a cloud offering from Mimecast and became a partner.

Mimecast offers bundles of features, each bundle at different price points, covering email security, compliance and continuity. Gartner has a review of more than a dozen companies in this space you can see here: https://www.gartner.com/reviews/market/ ... l-gateways.

Just because Mimecast was right for me and my customer base doesn't mean it will be right for you and your customers. But the Gartner link above will at least give you a short list from which you can do your own bakeoff. FWIW, Email Laundry was my second choice.

Hope that helps,
Mark
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

We use Spamwall since the beginning of the year. Very happy with the service and support has been awesome when we've needed it for minor questions.

http://spamwall.com/

Lance
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

We're using a mix of solutions, depending on the end-customers.

Either internal MailCleaner appliances (Community version) or SpamExperts hosted services.
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

Post by davidkillingsworth »

Thanks for all of the responses.

I posted something similar to Reddit and got the following responses.

ProofPoint
Sendio
SpamTitan
Spambrella
Sophos UTM firewalls

I thought I would list them here for further discussion and to enlighten anyone else who comes looking for a solid answer and sees this thread.

Has anyone used any of these services and has any feedback on service and/or pricing?
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU18.64 FOSS

Post by tonyg »

I'm a sole-proprietor with about a dozen domains and no more than a few accounts/aliases each. I Really dislike spam and came to Zimbra in my quest to get more control over filtering, and other aspects of server maintenance unsatisfied by commercial hosts.

Given this VERY modest usage (not even qualified as SMB), I'm also Very interested in finding multiple free and low-cost solutions to integrate with Zimbra for spam, malware, phishing, etc.

I need to make time to check out Rspamd, but that's only one piece of the puzzle.

SpamWall has a Lite solution for $39/month that would serve my needs. But really, with all of the monthly subscriptions in the world today, yet another $39 each month is really tough to swallow. At this moment I'm not hosting email for others, and would not pretend to be competent to do so. That means I can't expense this or recover it with revenue as a cost of business. This is a very tough position - poor email hosting services, and when we go DIY it just gets more expensive.

MailCleaner reviews are mildly compelling. The SourceForge FOSS project looks under-maintained and under-used. MailCleaner.net doesn't show pricing ... and if you go to MailCleaner.com you're in for a surprise. :)

Pricing for MimeCast and others? *sigh* we need to hunt around, request quotes... I don't see a comparison yet that includes pricing. Yeah, that's what we need in this line of work - more time-consuming research. :o
asif.junaid

SPAM email generating from my Emails causing IP Blacklisting

Post by asif.junaid »

Hi All,
I am new bie here and too much worry due to spam emails generating from email accounts automatically and are sending to multiple addresses itself.

Due to this issue, IP address of my Email server is being blocked by most of Email providers like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and others.
However, it is going fine to my organization's internal email addresses.

Kindly guide me how to resolve this issue as many of important emails are bouncing back from external servers.

Regards,
PaperAdvocate

Post by PaperAdvocate »

I like ASSP (free, opensource, a bit involved to setup but beautiful to see work): https://sourceforge.net/projects/assp/

We host ours on a Linode. It also has the capability to sync settings between 2 different installs so you can have a backup mx as well.