server migration

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
zgokan
Advanced member
Advanced member

server migration

Post by zgokan »

Hello

Our server is old. I set up a new server. But the number of users is too much. Can I get her passwords?
Can I move users from the old server to the new server with the same passwords?
(We do not want to change their password. Webmail, Mobile, Desk, etc.)

Thanks...
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: server migration

Post by phoenix »

How many times do I have to post this? :) Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool, it will move everything (including ZCS config) to the new server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Also, the migration could be a good "excuse" to configure your server with an external authentication like an external ldap or AD which I assume you have?

So on top of what phoneix suggests, which will solve your concerns at it will migrate the passwords that live in your old zimbra openldap, you could also try to take the chance and make that change. For instance:
- Configure your zimbra domain to auth against an external ldap for which your users already know their passwords. Let's say AD which is almost the one already in place.
- Configura your zimbra to "falback to local auth".
- Instruct your users to start using their external password also to validate in zimbra.
- After sometime (1 week or so), remove the "fallback to local auth", and when users call you, remind them about using their "windows" password to access zimbra.

Of course, this is optional and you can do the zextras migration of users at any point with or without changing this configuration.
zgokan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by zgokan »

phoenix wrote:How many times do I have to post this? :) Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool, it will move everything (including ZCS config) to the new server.
Hello

is it free ?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

zgokan wrote:
phoenix wrote:How many times do I have to post this? :) Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool, it will move everything (including ZCS config) to the new server.
is it free ?
Of course it is but why don't you search these forums or go to the product web site and find out? ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
zgokan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by zgokan »

pup_seba wrote:Also, the migration could be a good "excuse" to configure your server with an external authentication like an external ldap or AD which I assume you have?

So on top of what phoneix suggests, which will solve your concerns at it will migrate the passwords that live in your old zimbra openldap, you could also try to take the chance and make that change. For instance:
- Configure your zimbra domain to auth against an external ldap for which your users already know their passwords. Let's say AD which is almost the one already in place.
- Configura your zimbra to "falback to local auth".
- Instruct your users to start using their external password also to validate in zimbra.
- After sometime (1 week or so), remove the "fallback to local auth", and when users call you, remind them about using their "windows" password to access zimbra.

Of course, this is optional and you can do the zextras migration of users at any point with or without changing this configuration.
Can I get OpenLdap backup-restore ?
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

why would you want to do that?
zgokan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by zgokan »

pup_seba wrote:why would you want to do that?
There are more than 100 users. I don't want to renew their passwords. I don't want them to ask me.
They can automatically log in to the new server with the same old passwords. Can I do that ?

Thanks.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

"Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool, it will move everything (including ZCS config) to the new server."
"it will migrate the passwords that live in your old zimbra openldap"

Maybe we are not understanding what you want as I think you already have 2 answers for what you are asking. I suggest to follow phoenix instructions and take the time to read the zextras guide.
zgokan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by zgokan »

pup_seba wrote:"Use the ZeXtras Migration Tool, it will move everything (including ZCS config) to the new server."
"it will migrate the passwords that live in your old zimbra openldap"

Maybe we are not understanding what you want as I think you already have 2 answers for what you are asking. I suggest to follow phoenix instructions and take the time to read the zextras guide.
ok , thanks.