Rate limiting and auto user block to block spam outbursts

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Labsy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Rate limiting and auto user block to block spam outbursts

Post by Labsy »

Hi,

Is there any new and built-in mechanism available for Zimbra to setup and auto rate limit spam outbursts? I am really not into installing policyd with Apache and Sqlite onto ZCS server.

What I am thinking is somehow employ some shell script to look for possibly compromised accounts, like this one:

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/zimbra.log | sed -n 's/.*sasl_username=//p' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
This outputs the possible suspects, if few users count is unusually higher than others.
Then script should just inform admin and user of the action, then LOCK/BLOCK this user account.

It would be very light alternative to all mambo-jumbo with policyd and SQL.
Thoughts?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Rate limiting and auto user block to block spam outbursts

Post by phoenix »

There is always Rspamd, it can do rate limiting and although I don't use that feature it is fairly easy to configure: https://rspamd.com/doc/modules/ratelimit.html

That would, of course, require you to install rspamd as your ant-spam solution although that may not be your cup of tea. There is a sticky thread in these forums and a wiki article describing how to install it and in my experience it's trivial. The only thing that's necessary is a couple of changes that aren't preserved after upgrades and need to be reapplied..
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra