Apple Mail saves Drafts over and over again, slows down Zimbra

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
misosoup

Apple Mail saves Drafts over and over again, slows down Zimbra

Post by misosoup »

Hello y'all,

I have an interesting issue with Zimbra, or rather, the combination of Zimbra and the built-in "Mail" application in macOS. I'm not sure which party is at fault here, but maybe someone here has a suggestion how to fix / work around it.

Whenever someone tries to send an email with a large attachment (happened with attachments from 60-80MB) from Apple Mail, the client tries to save it as a draft, which is then uploaded to ZCS via IMAP. However, this happens over and over again every few seconds. As far as I can tell the Draft gets saved on the server successfully, it seems complete if I look into the .msg file in the user's `store` directory. But nonetheless it is uploaded anew constantly, and a new file is created every time, so the same content is written to the directory again and again. This causes so much disk i/o that ZCS pretty much becomes unusable for everyone else; the web client shows the "Server is slow to respond" message, SMTP logins take a long time, calendar entries aren't loaded properly etc.

So far I only managed to stop this behavior by deleting the Draft from the client machine.

I tried the same thing on my machine with Thunderbird on Linux, and I just get the "maximum literal size exceeded" message.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
M