Zimbra server migration

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
uzee

Zimbra server migration

Post by uzee »

Hi All,
I'm trying to help a friend migrate his current Zimbra server. I'm new to Zimbra but do have a reasonable understanding of how email works. My friend has a small company which provides a number of IT services including hosting and email. They had a Zimbra server configured and managed by a company in Europe but they have some ongoing problems due to which my friend is trying to get a Zimbra server setup and possibly maintain themselves.
In their current setup they provide email for the client's domains, so I would imagine its a Zimbra configuration which allows hosting multiple email domains.
Ideally I'm hoping we could import the current Zimbra configuration and splat it on a new server and it *should* just work, however, reality is usually not that simple :) I don't know the Zimbra version yet but know that its the open source/community version, not the paid one. Looking at https://www.tecmint.com/install-zimbra- ... ntos-rhel/, setting up a new server seems pretty straight forward. I also looked at https://blog.zimbra.com/2018/01/install ... 16-04-lts/
What I'm hoping to do is help them with setting up a new server, migration of the current one and documenting so that whoever is then tasked with maintaining it, patching, etc. has resonable information to do so. I will not be maintaining it in the long term.

Can someone please advise if I'm approaching this correctly? Would reading up on a server setup and possibly migration docs (if any) be sufficient? or should I be looking into going through the Zimbra docs thoroughly to handle this task.
Any other suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
uzee
zimico
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Re: Zimbra server migration

Post by zimico »

Dear uzee,
You can google with the "zimbra migration wiki" key words and there are a lot of wiki articles. You can use Zextras migration tool for ease of migration.
Best regards,