.zdb file size limit in Outlook with ZCO; any workarounds?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mattg1
ZCS/ZD Version: RHEL7_64 NETWORK, Patch 8.8.15_P41

.zdb file size limit in Outlook with ZCO; any workarounds?

Post by mattg1 »

Hello. With Outlook in Windows, the max usable size for a .pst file is ~50GB. Is the .zdb file subject to the same limitation? (It seems to be.) If so, is there any way to get around this limit? Our users would like to have arbitrarily large accounts in our Zimbra 8.7.11 NE + ZCO environment. Thanks.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Re: .zdb file size limit in Outlook with ZCO; any workarounds?

Post by Klug »

IIRC, this is an Outlook limit (same goes for PST/OST), not ZCO/ZDB.

This can be changed through registry.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ook-2010-a

However, I'm not sure this is a good idea (considering how Outlook behaves with big PST/OST/ZDB.
nathanr801

Post by nathanr801 »

I have the same problem with many users. I'm currently testing them out with the "Download headers only" option but this doesn't make them happy. I suggested the idea to Zimbra support of having the option to download only X amount of previous days (like phones are able to) or X amount of data. They put in as an internal enhancement under the number: ZRFE-432. Not sure if there's any way to increase the voting of it, but I'm holding back on migrating any other users until something can be done.
nathanr801

Post by nathanr801 »

Found this... https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=57552 which appears to be similar (and linked) to https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41476

Last comment was in 2012 where the "Cached Exchange Mode" option was marked as Wontfix.
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

nathanr801

Post by nathanr801 »

Yes, that sounds like the feature that would help.
nathanr801

Post by nathanr801 »

I'm looking to see if I can automate moving older messages into a secondary account. The idea would be that messages older than a year are put into a second account on the server and are only accessed through webmail. I'm seeing that messages can be copied into a different account but I haven't yet found how to move the message so it retains the same folder structure and read/unread status.

Would something like that work for you too?
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

nathanr801 wrote:I'm looking to see if I can automate moving older messages into a secondary account. The idea would be that messages older than a year are put into a second account on the server and are only accessed through webmail. I'm seeing that messages can be copied into a different account but I haven't yet found how to move the message so it retains the same folder structure and read/unread status?
We do that with imapsync. Set --minage to the number of days you want to retain and it'll copy everything older than that. Set --delete and it'll remove the mails from the source after it has copied them. It'll replicate the folder tree and maintains the read/unread status.

I also use it to replicate old mails from a zimbra account to a dovecot server for deep archiving.