Fresh Zimbra install is an open relay

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
paul

Fresh Zimbra install is an open relay

Post by paul »

I've just completed a Zimbra Open Source install.
At the end of it, I ran some checks, and it seems that the server is an open relay.
I tested this using the following online checks: both of these reported the server was an open relay.

I also tested using the "sendemail" script from a different ubuntu box.

Code: Select all

sendemail -f "does.not.exist@mydomain.com" -t "emailaddress@someotherdomain" -u "relay test" -s "mydomain.com"
This happily sent an email to "emailaddress@someotherdomain", from the non existent email on my domain.

I read in the documentation that zimbra's postfix is supposed to have open relaying turned off by default.
Have I turned it on by mistake? How do I turn it off?

Many thanks.
Paul
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Fresh Zimbra install is an open relay

Post by phoenix »

Zimbra, by default, is not an open relay and would only be so if you've made any changes to it. What changes have you made? Have a look at some of the other questions/solutions on the forums for details of what you can check.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
buruguduy

Post by buruguduy »

Have you checked ZimbraMtaMyNetworks? It should provide you with knowledge of how to configure which network or host will be allowed to send. I have found this since version 8.0.
paul

Post by paul »

phoenix wrote:Zimbra, by default, is not an open relay and would only be so if you've made any changes to it. What changes have you made? Have a look at some of the other questions/solutions on the forums for details of what you can check.
While I didn't think I had done anything to enable open relay... I have since
run through a couple of "how to harden zimbra" websites,
and the open relay seems to have gone away.

It is very possible that I messed up during installation.