emails disapearing

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

emails disapearing

Post by snowymoountain »

One single user on our system seems to have deleted items.... Whole folders are being deleted....
No oher user has this issue....
The user has Outlook cnnnected Via IMAP....
Oddly in outloook the emails and folders are still there and do not reflect the server sstate as seen via webmail....
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: emails disapearing

Post by snowymoountain »

Can anyone help here ?
How can emails and folders just disapear in the server and not be reflected in outlook when the user never logs into the webmail interface ?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Why don't you start by checking the user's account and see if the folders are still there? Take a look at the zmprov connad, you can use this first: https://webhostinggeeks.com/howto/how-t ... in-zimbra/

If you think there's a problem with the web ui then I'd suggest you also verify if your server has been ha checked, read some of the forum threads/posts on the topic, if it has then you'll also find details of how to clean your server.

When you post in these forums it's always useful to give the full version you're using by posting the full output of the following command:

Code: Select all

zmprov -v
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

That doesn't output anything...
[root@newmail ~]# su zimbra
[zimbra@newmail root]$ zmprov -v
prov>

The customer does not use the web interface, Spam and Trash were set to delete in 7 days.... I have set to not delete now...

The odd thing is in the customers outlook client the folders are still there but in webmail (from the admin Web interface I see they are not) also from ipad and iPhone the folders and emails are not there...

I found 3 folders in Trash but how did they get there ?

Also in the list of Folders there are some folders with no emails left in them but in the Outlook client they are still there....

How can emails disapear from folders online when they remain in the outlook client and how can folders be deleted on the server side when they remain in the outlook client ?

there is only one user with this issue....

I have now set spam and trash to never delete until this is resolved....
zimico
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Post by zimico »

Hi,
Maybe phoenix had a typo. You should use:
su - zimbra
zmcontrol -v

Best regards,
Minh
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

Thanks,

Release 8.8.9_GA_2055.RHEL7_64_20180703080917 RHEL7_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.8.9_P1.

Really concerned that folders and email is seeming to just disapear, folders I guess could be accidentally deleted but folders which remain in the user account being emptied of email is very strange...
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

zimico wrote:Maybe phoenix had a typo.
No, he didn't. I'm assuming that anyone administering a Zimbra server already knows how to run any of the CLI commands but obviously not in this case. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

snowymoountain wrote:That doesn't output anything...
[root@newmail ~]# su zimbra
[zimbra@newmail root]$ zmprov -v
prov>
As mentioned by zimico, you need to use the 'su' command with the hyphen so the correct environment is set.
snowymoountain wrote:The customer does not use the web interface, Spam and Trash were set to delete in 7 days.... I have set to not delete now...

The odd thing is in the customers outlook client the folders are still there but in webmail (from the admin Web interface I see they are not) also from ipad and iPhone the folders and emails are not there...
I understood that the first time you posted it.
snowymoountain wrote:I found 3 folders in Trash but how did they get there ?

Also in the list of Folders there are some folders with no emails left in them but in the Outlook client they are still there....

How can emails disapear from folders online when they remain in the outlook client and how can folders be deleted on the server side when they remain in the outlook client ?

there is only one user with this issue....

I have now set spam and trash to never delete until this is resolved....
Have you checked some of the forum thread on the recent 'exploit' that hacks your server, I suggested earlier that you do this and I'd strongly advise you to take a look at those threads just in case this applies to your server. FWIW, in my fourteen years of using Zimbra and being on these forums I've never heard of a situation like the one you're describing'
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

No I did not see the link to the Exploit in your links but will double check...

I've only used Zimbra for a year but I have administered email servers for 21 years mostly on OSX using GUI & CLI and terminal and I have never seen anything like this.

All very odd...
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

snowymoountain wrote:No I did not see the link to the Exploit in your links but will double check...
There's a 'stick' thread in the Administrators forum plus quite a few other threads on the topic.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra