Zimbra 8.8.12 on CentOS 7 - problems with national characters from shell utils

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sq5gvm

Zimbra 8.8.12 on CentOS 7 - problems with national characters from shell utils

Post by sq5gvm »

Hi all,
I have installed Zimbra 8.8.12 (with P1 patches) on current Centos 7.
Everything was working smoothly until I had to import messages or manage mailbox using zmmailbox with data containing national characters (czech, polish etc).
I tried default values as well as setting LC_ALL and LANG variables to pl_PL/pl_PL.utf8 unfortunatelly there are always some problems.
For example:

Code: Select all

LC_ALL=pl_PL.utf8 zmmailbox -z -m admin@zimbra.example.com
mbox admin@zimbra.example.com>  gaf
        Id  View      Unread   Msg Count  Path
----------  ----  ----------  ----------  ----------
         1  unkn           0           0  /
(...)
       502  mess           0           0  /Inbox/łąka
mbox admin@zimbra.example.com> deleteFolder "/Inbox/łąka"
ERROR: zclient.CLIENT_ERROR (unknown folder: /Inbox/Bka)
mbox admin@zimbra.example.com> 
What is worse is that when I'm using zmmailbox to import message from file ("am /Inbox /tmp/file.msg"), resulting message looks ok in webmail, but when retrieved using IMAP it looks garbled:
- transcoded from UTF-8 to "double encoded" UTF-8 (for example "ł" becomes "Ĺ‚" or =C5=82 when quoted printable) etc
- quoted printable HTML mails become barbage as some html becomes mangled (notice some characters were replaced with "="):

Code: Select all

<blockquote type="cite" style="padding: 0 0.4em; border-left: #1010ff 2=x solid; margin: 0"><!-- html ignored --><!-- head ignored --><!-- meta ig=ored --><!-- meta ignored -->
What's more weird, message file in zimbra store looks OK.
Messages stored using imap or simply sent/received with zimbra are ok.

Any ideas what to check?
Server was installed with pl_PL.utf8 locale as default, switching to zimbra account locale is set to zimbras default "C".

Miroslaw/SQ5GVM
sq5gvm

Re: Zimbra 8.8.12 on CentOS 7 - problems with national characters from shell utils

Post by sq5gvm »

I did some digging and network sniffing for last few days, unfortunatelly no matter how I set locale settings I can't get shell utils to work correctly.
Tried installing Centos 7 with all default settings (LANG="en_US.UTF-8" in locale.conf), tried switching to many different locale settings and ALWAYS system acts as described in previous post.
Tried also to get access to Zimbra SOAP interface (using SOAP UI) and found out that data returned by SOAP interface looks to be double encoded...

To summarize, no matter what settings I tried I was unable to get SOAP interface/shell utils to work correctly with national characters.
Can someone verify if their CentOS based Zimbra systems behave same as mine?
I'll try to verify how it works using Ubuntu in the near few days - maybe it's distribution dependent problem I'm facing.
All ideas really appreciated.

Miroslaw/SQ5GVM