Outlook not syncing after Backup/Restore to new Mailbox Store

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
loadaccess_jt
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU16.64

Outlook not syncing after Backup/Restore to new Mailbox Store

Post by loadaccess_jt »

Release 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU16.64 UBUNTU16_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.8.12_P1 proxy.

Hi everyone,

I've been migrating users mailboxes to two new Mailbox Stores by backing them up, changing the ZimbraMailHost, etc, then restoring to the new server.
All of that has been going well, Webmail is working and notifying when new mail arrives, as are mobile clients on IMAP, but for quite a few accounts Outlook (IMAP) has stopped updating at the scheduled interval.
Switching between folders will cause a sync, hitting Send/Receive sometimes works, and closing/re-launching works, but for whatever reason it's no longer doing so automatically. We have it set to 10 min, but after an hour my users are seeing mail on the phones and in Webmail that isn't showing up in Outlook until they do one or more of those things.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this happen. I've search the forum but don't see anything that catches my eye.

I'm tempted to remove and re-add the account in Outlook, but these accounts have a lot of mail and will take a long time to download it all again, so I'm looking to see if there's any other things I should be looking at first.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to offer :)

Cheers!
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Re: Outlook not syncing after Backup/Restore to new Mailbox Store

Post by DualBoot »

Hello,

try to restart or refresh zimbra memcached after each mailbox migration.

Regards,
loadaccess_jt
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU16.64

Re: Outlook not syncing after Backup/Restore to new Mailbox Store

Post by loadaccess_jt »

I've tried that to no avail. I got a list of the accounts affected (maybe 10-15% of them), and some of them haven't been migrated yet, so I know it's not related to that now.

I think I may have narrowed it down to a bad folder name(s) on one of the accounts.

The user had prefixed a few folder names with a * and I could see from the logs it was causing a "permission denied" error. And it was continuously repeating.

Code: Select all

.... "imap - SELECT failed: permission denied: INBOX/*Confirmation"
After renaming the folders the error messages cleared up. Now just have to wait and see if that may also fix the IMAP sync issues. I really hope it does. If not I'll try re-adding their account to Outlook.