Virtual hosts

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rocketr

Virtual hosts

Post by rocketr »

Hi,
I am using a trial version right now and I am trying to create a virtual domain. From the Admin console I can not see Configure>Domains>Virtual Host. There is only Configure>Domains. The documentation says to use Configure>Domains>Virtual Host.
Is this because I am using the trial version right now. When we purchase will this become available. I would like to test it before buying as we have 2 Domains handled on 1 server (exchange) now.

Thank you,
Ron
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Re: Virtual hosts

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Ron,

Zimbra supports multiple domains right out of the box, and each domain can have multiple Virtual Hosts.

So let's say you build a Zimbra server with the FQDN of zimbra.mydomain.com.

Now you want to add a domain myseconddomain.com and another domain mythirddomain.com. Go right ahead.

Without Virtual Hosts, users will need to point their browser to zimbra.mydomain.com and login as, say, john.doe@mythirddomain.com.

But let's say you added the virtual host webmail.myseconddomain.com to the myseconddomain.com domain. Then (once you put the A record in public DNS), Steve Smith (who has a mailbox steve.smith@myseconddomain.com), need only browse to webmail.myseconddomain.com and login as steve.smith.

It's a little different from how Exchange does it...

Hope that helps,
Mark

P.S. Zimbra also provides Alias Domains... Let's say the company MySecondDomain buys the company TheirDomain. You can add theirdomain.com as an alias domain for myseconddomain.com, and then the world can email Steve at either steve.smith@theirdomain.com or at steve.smith@myseconddomain.com.
rocketr

Re: Virtual hosts

Post by rocketr »

Thank you, that was it.

Thank,
Ron