I give up, after 8 years I'm going to implement a 3rd party inbound anti-spam. Any feedback on Spam Hero?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

I give up, after 8 years I'm going to implement a 3rd party inbound anti-spam. Any feedback on Spam Hero?

Post by davidkillingsworth »

I can't keep up with the spam anymore using the default settings in Zimbra. Spamassasin, Postscreen, and RBLs just don't cut it. Too many phishing attempts, too many obvious junk mails that get through, etc.

I have reviewed and looked a alot of anti-spam gateways and have settled on Spam Hero.

1) I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with Spam Here or any other vendor for that matter.

2) Are there any things that need to be turned off on the Zimbra side, such as SPF checking, or postscreen RBL lists, or other items?

I'm worried that any message from a domain with -all listed at the end of the SPF record is going to get rejected for placed into the junk mail since now all mail will be coming from Spam Hero SMTP servers.

Thanks in advance for any input.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: I give up, after 8 years I'm going to implement a 3rd party inbound anti-spam. Any feedback on Spam Hero?

Post by phoenix »

Have you considered using Rspamd?

There is currently a bug within ZCS that affects spam training and is (supposedly) being worked on.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: I give up, after 8 years I'm going to implement a 3rd party inbound anti-spam. Any feedback on Spam Hero?

Hi Bill,

I have read your posts on Rspamd over the years and It seems complicated enough that I didn't want to venture into it. I also didn't want to fundamentally change my zimbra installation from the default config.

I am open minded about it, so I could be swayed, but using a 3rd party inbound gateway service seems way easier.

Thanks,
David
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Anti-spam systems can be complicated but rspamd is trivial to install on a zimbra server and, believe me, I'm no expert. Obviously you must do what's appropriate for your environment, if that's a commercial or OSS product it obviously has a benefit to your environment.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
zimico
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Post by zimico »

Hi Bill,
Do you have/write any blog/post/wiki about a kind of rspamd best practise form zimbra and how to configure some common tasks such as whitelist/blaclist, rate limit,.. I think if there is enough and available doc for Zimbra admin, more zimbra admins will move to rspamd.
Best regards,
Minh.
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

I've never pointed MX records directly at Zimbra, and never will. We use Spamwall. Very happy with it.
https://www.spamwall.com/

Lance
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

axslingr wrote:I've never pointed MX records directly at Zimbra, and never will. We use Spamwall. Very happy with it.
https://www.spamwall.com/

Lance
What do you do, if anything, on the zimbra side to accommodate the spamwall service? Do you disable any services?

Thanks,
David
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Before you give up, have you seen my anti-spam best practices blog post?

https://www.missioncriticalemail.com/20 ... ices-2019/

Hope that helps,
Mark
charles07

Post by charles07 »

well as many told here, don't open zimbra directly to incoming mails. Use an antispam in between. I had tested different Hardware antispam, the one I liked is barracuda email gateway.
Is your mailserver hosted internally or in a cloud server?
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

davidkillingsworth wrote:
What do you do, if anything, on the zimbra side to accommodate the spamwall service? Do you disable any services?

Thanks,
David
I leave anti-virus active just in case. Anti-spam service is turned off.

Lance