Unable to search through the mails

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
blason78

Unable to search through the mails

Post by blason78 »

Hi Folks,

I have Zimbra version Release 8.0.5_GA and I was facing disk space issue. Hence I went through multiple threads and found that that search index probably can be deleted and it creates again as the user starts searching through. The indices are located at /opt/zimbra/index/0/ per users mailboxID I guess.
hence I deleted the indices however it started building again but this is not able to search through the mails; the search doesn't return all the mails. Do I need to restart the Zimbra services after deleting indices?

Thanks and Regards,
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Re: Unable to search through the mails

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Your search unfortunately turned up incorrect information. Mailboxes are indexed according to a scheduler. No index, no searching.

Your version of Zimbra is long past end of life and contains several significant security vulnerabilities. I'd recommend you migrate to 8.8.15 (the currently supported version) as quickly as practicable.

All the best,
Mark
blason78

Post by blason78 »

I agree and yes we are planning for the upgrade. However, pertaining to my other query so mailboxes will be indexed again as per the scheduler?
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

blason78 wrote:I agree and yes we are planning for the upgrade. However, pertaining to my other query so mailboxes will be indexed again as per the scheduler?
Not sure as I can't recall anyone ever just wholesale deleting index files like that.

I would recommend running "zmprov rim <user@domain.tld>" one at a time for each of your users' mailboxes to rebuild the indexes from scratch--when you have the space to do so.

Hope that helps,
Mark
blason78

Post by blason78 »

L. Mark Stone wrote:
blason78 wrote:I agree and yes we are planning for the upgrade. However, pertaining to my other query so mailboxes will be indexed again as per the scheduler?
Not sure as I can't recall anyone ever just wholesale deleting index files like that.

I would recommend running "zmprov rim <user@domain.tld>" one at a time for each of your users' mailboxes to rebuild the indexes from scratch--when you have the space to do so.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Correct that has resolved the issue. However, its ok for certain users if they have lost the search indices.