is this wiki document tested with / valid for 8.8.x FOSS? (zmsetservername)

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
bisi
ZCS/ZD Version: many versions&clients from 6.x up

is this wiki document tested with / valid for 8.8.x FOSS? (zmsetservername)

Post by bisi »

the document itself says it is only verified up to 8.6.

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/ZmSetServerName

Does anyone have any insight as to whether it would work with 8.8.15 (FOSS)?

basically I need to rename the host from mail2.domain.tld to mail.domain.tld. Commercial certs are already issued.

Thanks for any help!
bisi
ZCS/ZD Version: many versions&clients from 6.x up

Re: is this wiki document tested with / valid for 8.8.x FOSS? (zmsetservername)

Post by bisi »

Well, I did all the backups, and it seems to have worked. The documentation on what to do *after* the rename is very, very incomplete. I have a single-server install I did this on. Afterwards, Be prepared to:

grep -R oldhostname /opt/zimbra/conf/* | grep -v -i cruft_to_filter_out

I already had commercial SSL certs with the old and hew host names, so I completely skipped the bit about deploying a self-signed cert. Also there is nothing about memcached, and the DNS stuff was pretty useless. I made sure that, with zimbra services down (looking at you, memcached), the host could resolve both oldhostname.domain.tld and newhostname.domain.tld to the correct IP address. Then I messed with /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts and set the hostname (hostname -F /root/file_with_fqdn_as_content), so that hostname -f returned the desired name. Then I powered down and made a complete backup (it's a VM, so I also snapshotted it for a quick reset).

Then I powered up and did the ZmSetServerName.

see also my post in this forum about a lingering question after doing this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68468