Bug with firefox rendering some emails on 8.8.15 P16

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0

Re: Bug with firefox rendering some emails on 8.8.15 P16

Post by ghen »

JDunphy wrote:I have one of our web developers looking at the js now to see if we can come up with a quick fix.
The quick fix is to restore /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/js/MailCore_all.js and .zgz from P15.
(and either flush browser cache, or bump zimbraCacheBusterVersion and restart mailboxd.)
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

ghen wrote:
JDunphy wrote:I have one of our web developers looking at the js now to see if we can come up with a quick fix.
The quick fix is to restore /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/js/MailCore_all.js and .zgz from P15.
(and either flush browser cache, or bump zimbraCacheBusterVersion and restart mailboxd.)
Thanks again and your posts have been very helpful.

That fix definitely works for the simpler Canada Post tracking email but that patch seems to fix a side effect and not the underlying root problem and we have seen emails that even patch 15 didn't fix but thought it was OWASP. As a result, we are attempting to get past this game of whack-a-mole. There seems to be an issue with how the table elements are being interpreted by the browser as an inline element vs a block element and how Zimbra wrapped their style around the message and how css inheritance behaves in that environment. Compounding the problem is that the email provided a large amount of table style in the middle of the document in addition to using a large number of nested tables to provide their layout. Also much of the emails table style has been deactivated (ripped out) by OWASP. Turning OWASP off however doesn't fix the problem but it will make it easier to get to the root cause with the browsers debugger if there is something more systemic here with how style is inherited.

Firefox can display the html from the email correctly by itself but once Zimbra wraps their iframe around this html and then applies its style than things get a little wonky. One of the things we are contemplating now is how strict browsers are with interpreting some of this style inheritance and we wonder if Firefox might be stricter at present than chrome/safari and if there are some big surprises in the future as browsers become stricter. All speculation at this point.

We are trying to find a way to break the problematic inheritance.

I could have this completely incorrect from her description but that is what I think she has told me.
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0

Post by ghen »

JDunphy wrote: This was reported and is being tracked as ZBUG-1998
Did you get any feedback on this bug so far?
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

ghen wrote:
JDunphy wrote: This was reported and is being tracked as ZBUG-1998
Did you get any feedback on this bug so far?
Never. Not a peep. I had forgotten about this and noticed my email was readable again and thought it was a firefox update. I asked our developer this morning about the status of this and here is what she said:
developer wrote: In /opt/zimbra/jetty_base/webapps/zimbra/js/MailCore_all.js starting on line 11761, I did this:

# BLD - setting w to 0 to force past this section of code
# var w = doc.body.scrollWidth;
iframe.style.border = "0px";
var w = 0;

So I commented out their setting of the variable 'w' which is width. I also set an initial value on iframe.style.border as I'm expecting to actually not execute the next section of code. I found that the logic at line 11765 was our problem for Firefox and was not being executed for the other browsers. This was not a complete fix and we chose not to implement it for our zimbra customer and only for ourselves. There are deeper problems here on how the HTML is being handled w/in Zimbra and I kept going in circles. Display was / was not the issue. There is something about how the style is inherited that is causing our problems.

So in the end - I would not call this a fix but it is one of many problems in Zimbra. They even have a bug note (20743) that the width and wrapping was a problem.
She will get back to this again as it appears we have run into a new email that exhibits this behavior a few days ago. I haven't seen it in my emails yet so firefox is working well with my email mix.